thoughts for a friday.

japanese-ice-cream

black sesame ice cream, via the road forks.

they say that everything is temporary. our joys, and thankfully our woes. Being happy and savoring the little moments in life is not always easy, but it’s probably something to strive for. the busier i get (and i’m thankful for that) the more i also want to slow the heck down. the more frenetic life gets, the more i want to stay centered and feel happy for what i do have, rather than unhappy for what i do not (hello, valentine man — are you out there?). everything is temporary — even ice cream melts. so savor it while you can. you never know how long it’s gonna last. i guess i’m getting all trite and touchy-feely today, but what i’m trying to say is that most of life can sure taste good going down. here’s my temporary thoughts for a friday. we’ll see how long this lasts.

sin-lived-in-porcelain-plates

• hate to waste good trees for the convenience of temporary paper plates? here’s the most beautiful alternative i’ve ever seen. not that you can cart these delicate dining beauties around in your picnic basket, but don’t you want to? i love these porcelain paper plates from sin lived in.

Cody-VanderKaay

i like nice things, too. and i love this work by detroit-based artist Cody VanderKaay, i like nice things, this is only temporary — Vinyl lettering on greeting card sack. a whimsical, witty and artful reminder.

tattly

do you want a tattoo? i have a lot of friends getting some pretty beautiful tattoos lately. i mean, large, fully-committed tattoos, none of that silly heart on a vine kinda wimpy stuff like i have on my ankle (i blame it entirely on foolish youth). i’m not sure i could pull the trigger on that big a commitment based on how many times i change my decor around. that’s why there’s tattly. you know about them right? brilliant temporary tattoos brought to you by the swiss-miss herself, blogger and tattly founder Tina Roth Eisenberg. this, i can commit to.

Comments
15 Responses to “thoughts for a friday.”
  1. Tifa says:

Oh my goodness! I thought that was a cigarette butt sticking out of that grey ice cream when I scrolled past this on my RSS feed! Haha!

2. Angie says:

I want that ice cream to be liquorice flavour and I REALLY want those temp tattoos!

3. joody says:

what an insightful post. this was perfect timing as i was working non-stop at work today whilst wondering what all this means. you are right. things are temporary and one day, i will miss this very moment that i am having. what a grateful way to look at life! thank you. i’ll be putting my virtual sticky note on this and return to it whenever i am not feeling grateful. thank you!

4. Diana says:

love your thoughts for today! i can totally be the “grass is greener on the other side” gal… and this was a perfect reminder that its not. :)

5. Amberly says:

I really love the sentimentality of your post today. One of the most powerful pieces of wisdom I’ve heard from someone much older than me (and therefore with more life experience) is that life moves in waves, and there will be those high times and low times but you won’t be stuck in that low point forever. You have to trust that you’ll get through it and know that better times are coming because, put simply, life goes on and things change. Anyway, aside from going all deep, I love those plates so much! Haha

Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Victoria!

6. Charlie says:

You can surely become engulfed in the bad stuff from time to time. The wonderful things, the amazing people in our lives, they aren’t temporary. They live inside us, change us, become part of our 2.0 version.

7. vicki archer says:

I’m with you on the temporary… I change my mind so often that I would be a disaster…
    And what about that ice cream… amazing!
    Happy weekend… xv

8. Igor says:

After all, life is temporary as well. The magic is how we use the time given to us. And cherishing the little things, finding happiness in the mundane and sharing it with others – what better can we do in life? Happy weekend, Victoria!

9. Lisa says:

I stared at my foot for 4 years before getting my tattoo, of course wanted another one right away – but knew better. 24 yrs later I am still not sure what and where I would like to get one!
    Those tattoos from tattly are great, cheap and well made. I recommend signing up for the newsletter.

10. this thought is so true and honest. Sometimes I find it very hard to keep in mind something as simple but extremely complex like being happy for what we have rather than unhappy for what we don’t have, but I guess that everybody struggles with that. reading this post was a cute little reminder to stay focused on the things that make us happy. have a good weekend!

11. Kate says:

On NYE the party I went to had tons of temporary tats, it was super fun to give people justin beiber and my little pony tats but these are super fun!!
    thisiskatefunk

12. Lisa Scherer says:

I love the paper plate idea! And boy can I relate to the temporary thing. I think we all can. Never thought of it all that way. Cool.

13. Lisa says:

Or you could always make your own temp tattoos with Silhouette Americas Tattoo paper. So much fun.

14. vantiani says:

Dear Victoria,

This is one of the most beautiful and inspiring post I have ever read here.

Vantiani.

15. victoria says:

Thank you so much everyone for all your kind comments and contributions. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying these new Friday posts. See, we can move on from simply ‘Oh, Happy, Happy Friday’ and have more fun discussions! :) xo