it’s not always easy being green.

greenworks

in the words of kermit the frog, it’s not always easy being green. we San Franciscans can get pretty intense about being ‘green’ and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that — I totally believe in being eco-conscious, but sometimes you can start to feel a little inadequate or not green enough, right? it gets a little like portlandia from time to time! I’m probably apt to do my part in more subtle ways: I re-purpose vintage finds and furniture, I keep a bucket in my shower to catch the cold water while it’s warming up to water my plants; I grow my own herbs and vegetables in planters (which is fun!); and I walk and try to ride my bike more than I drive my car. You don’t have to be ridiculous to be green, and you can make a lot of little differences that add up to make a much bigger impact.

line-dry-your-clothes

line-dryed laundry / smells fresh / wastes less energy
You can air-dry clothes no matter where you live and by doing so, you can cut your energy bill in half, reduce your carbon footprint and preserve your favorite clothing. And who doesn’t love that fresh-air smell? Bring home vintage linens, clothing etc. and clean them up with Green Works® plant-based laundry soap and give them a new life.

adopt-a-rescue-dog

rescue/adopt an animal
Lucy is a rescue mutt — you can Find your new best friend at a local shelter, too. You’ll give them a second chance at life and reduce the nation’s pet overpopulation problem. Everybody wins!

grocery-bags

bring your own grocery totes
Save some trees and keep the landfills clear by using your own tote bags. There’s so many cute, organically made ones out there now. Leave a few in your car or bike basket for that unexpected shopping spree.

repurpose-old-jars

repurposed jars for storing food bought in bulk
Head for the bulk bins and store your goods in a non-toxic and stylish way. Glass jars come in a fun array of sizes, styles and colors and are sure to be useful somewhere in your kitchen. Shopping vintage jars from the flea markets is a great way to be ‘green’. Scrub them up with non-toxic Green Works® all-purpose cleaner.

JAR

water drinking bottle using cute repurposed jar
Avoid buying bottled water and instead filter simple tap water and use your own containers. works for your morning coffee, too. The Earth will thank you for it.

grow-your-own-herbs

grow your own herb garden
There’s no better way to have fresh, organic herbs at the ready than to grow them yourself. They look pretty on your kitchen windowsill and are virtually fool-proof to maintain. so easy, and so rewarding, too. i love being able to reach over and clip a few fresh herbs.

catch-the-cold-water

keep a tub in shower to catch cold water/water plants
Why waste that cold water when warming up your shower? Simply keep a bucket or tub nearby to catch it and use it to water your plants & garden. I’ve been doing this for years!

ride-your-bike-instead

bike riding to your locally grown farmer’s market
Buy fresh fruits and veggies from your farmer’s market to help boost your local economy. And of course, ride your bike and don’t forget your cute tote bags!

check out the greenworks youtube video for more easy ideas on being green.

•This post is sponsored by Green Works®. You don’t have to compromise to be clean when you use hard working, plant-based cleaners powered by The Clorox Company.

Comments
10 Responses to “it’s not always easy being green.”
  1. Kory says:

Great ideas! I completely agree that the whole green movement can be a little bit overwhelming at times, but little things like these really do make a difference.

2. Amanda says:

Catching the cold water in a bucket while the water is warming up, is the best idea! I’ve never thought of that! I’m going to start right away. My pup is a resuce dog, and she’s the best decision I’ve ever made. I want another!

3. eleni says:

Absolutely loved this post. It is a nice reminder that it really is as simple as catching cold water.

4. honeydonthink says:

I love this post and am reminded to ride my bike more often and start growing herbs as I love using them to cook.
    If I adopt a dog it will be a rescue!
    We grew up with laundry drying on the clothesline in Canada and remember how frozen stiff the sheets used to get in the winter and how fresh they smelled when they were folded. Can you believe there are states and homeowners associations thant try to ban them?

5. kim says:

I’m going to start saving the cold water too, can’t believe I haven’t been doing this! And yes, rescue, rescue, rescue!

6. Kate says:

One caveat: If you have bad environmental allergies, you might not want to dry your things outside! Pollen and other allergens can stick to the wet fabric.

Also: try to compost if you can! My building does not have composting available, so when my compost bag is full (2-3 times a month), I freeze it to prevent smells and drips and then carry it to my workplace, which DOES have composting. Sure, I feel a bit silly toting a bag of frozen garbage on BART, but better than just tossing those things in the trash!

• victoria says:

i didn’t know about the allergies, kate. interesting!

and i compost, too – i just didn’t know how to photograph a pretty picture of it! :) but i freeze stuff too and then add it to the compost bin the day it’s picked up so it doesn’t smell too bad.

7. Thank you for the lovely and artful reminder of what we can do. And thank you for not being preachy about it!

8. Thanks so much for the post! I did one similar on my blog a little while back : http://adventuringnymph.blogspot.ca/2012/11/reduce-reuse-recycle.html. I really feel strongly about being as green as I can (my family thinks I’m a bit of a anti plastic bag queen!). I really like your tip for catching the water, I hadn’t thought about that one :) Thanks!

9. Pink ronnie says:

All lovely ideas, Victoria! A lovely, inspiring way to begin my week…
    Ronnie xo