thoughts for a friday.

Thoughts

grace coddington photographed by tim walker.

it would seem that in a week that could be all about highlighting couples, a lot of strong, independent and admirable women are popping up all over the place for me. tina over on swiss-miss posted a list of suggestions for Female Entrepreneur speakers and the list was awe-inspiring. she asked for more suggestions and so i added rena tom, founder of makeshift society because she personally rocks my world with her constant investment in community and her support of makers everywhere. so my thoughts for a friday are leaning towards sharing some other women who inspire me endlessly. do you have anyone you’d like to add to the list? i’d love to hear about them — give us all something to think about over the long weekend. monday’s a holiday, so i’ll see you all back here on tuesday.

GraceCoddington-A-Memoir

grace coddington: a memoir

i first became enamored with grace coddington the creative director of american vogue in a documentary entitled The September Issue, where she single-handedly made anna wintour appear almost wallflower-like. her creativity, wit, intelligence and no nonsense common sense just shined so brightly in a fashion world gone mad with self-absorption. i’m excited to read her new book, grace coddington: a memoir. have you read it? do you love her, too?

thoughts-for-a-friday

me, traveling alone in paris; diana vreeland in the vogue office.

“You can feel just as insecure in your own backyard – if you’re going to feel sorry for yourself, do it somewhere cool.” — a wonderful quote I read in this article by Katka Lapelosa a tour operator living in New York who also writes for several travel websites and shares her own experiences on her blog katka travels. i’ve traveled alone quite a bit, and i always learn something about myself. sometimes good, sometimes bad, but invaluable lessons all of them. have you traveled on your own? did you have any epiphanies?

“There’s only one very good life, and that’s the life that you know you want, and you make it yourself.” — Diana Vreeland. For decades, Diana Vreeland was a leading authority in fashion through eccentric self-taught skill and a unique stylistic audacity. the new film Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has To Travel follows her career from her youth in Paris to successful magazine fashion editor, challenging preconceptions and presenting a new definition of beauty and vivaciousness where nice clothes were just the beginning of something much, much deeper. i’m super excited to see this film!

TED Talk: Brené Brown: The power of vulnerability.

do you know about Brené Brown? she is one of my personal heroes. Brené Brown is a research professor who has spent the past decade studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame. she’s funny, and accessible and quite brilliant. i saw this TED Talk she gave, The power of vulnerability and it was kind of life changing. i identified with what Brené had to say so deeply, that i think i shared with anyone who would listen. i don’t think i shared it here though, and i want to now. if you haven’t seen it, please watch all of it — or at least save it for when you can watch it and really listen. i think you’ll find it well worth it. for more from Brené Brown visit her website.

Comments
27 Responses to “thoughts for a friday.”
  1. Jennifer says:

Re: Female entrepreneurs, I added Black Girls CODE founder Kimberly Bryant to the list. She’s right in your back yard too! http://www.blackgirlscode.com/

2. Brooke says:

Thanks for sharing the Brene Brown Ted Talk, such a wonderful message.

The September Issue made me fall in love with Grace too, and i read her book over the holidays. Its an interesting read, and she’s certainly lived a facinating life but I didn’t actually reccomend it to my friends. And I thought I’d get home from vacation eager to blog all about it but I didn’t.

3. Laura says:

Victoria – I read Grace’s memoir and absolutely loved it. It is fascinating. This woman has done it all and seems to know or have known everybody, but is still simple and likeable. I almost cried when I was done reading it because I enjoyed it so much and was so sad the read was over.

4. So agree with you about Grace Coddington – just started reading her memoir! Now, let me think about badass women who inspire me.

5. Jade Sheldon says:

I just have to say it, WOMEN ROCK. I look up to all these incredible women.. it inspires me to be a better person, a more active person, a more creative person… the list is endless…

6. skatoprama says:

loved the video!!! thank you!

7. Lize says:

Dear Jennifer,
    Thank you so much for sharing the TED talk.
    It really changed my day in a very positive way.
    I love your blog!
    Greetings from the Netherlands,
    Lize

8. Jenn Rogers says:

💗 Brene Brown. I read her book after watching the TED talk. It’s so good and a continuation of what she discusses in the TED.

9. Yvonne Cornell says:

Thank you so much Victoria for this female driven inspiration. When I was younger and in the dog eat dog work force, I felt lost in the wolf pack. I plan to listen to the TED presentation and read Grace’s book per your suggestions. I also plan to add Dr Christy Westen to the list of female leaders that inspire. I am in Costa Mesa this very weekend to hear her speak in one hour at The Women’s Wellness Conference. A Votre Sante!! :) Warmly, Yvonne

10. ebk riley says:

Just wanted to thank you for the link to Brene Brown’s TED talk. She had a fabulous explanation of things I have been thinking about for a long time– wish I were as eloquent, but the talk reminded me that I need to trust my instincts more and revel in authenticity. I always find something enchanting in your work.

11. A says:

Check out http://www.girlsiknownyc.com for inspiring women in NYC! I know they are always looking for submissions and the women in this post are all amazing, intelligent, and pushing the boundaries of female empowerment.

12. Sarolta says:

That TED talk is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

13. my hyggelig says:

I just watched the Diana Vreeland movie last weekend and that quote struck me profoundly ~ so true. She made it alright!

14. kate o. says:

I’m still wrapping my brain around Brene’s talk, but it was good – really good.

And I’m loving your “Thoughts For A Friday” posts. They’re fun, thoughtful, and vulnerable. Thank you for sharing.

15. Brene says:

I’m such a fan (of you and your site! Thanks for including me in the awesomeness.
    BB

16. judith b. says:

Of all the wonderful things you share here, Victoria, Brené Brown’s talk is wonderful plus!
    Thank you, again and again!
    xx judith b.
    PS And now for your other “leads”…

17. janis says:

Hi Victoria, I LOVE this new addition to your blog, “Thoughts on Friday”. It’s a real gem.
    This post in particular has so many good links. First, I want to explore the TED talk, and then move on from there. Oh, and thanks for the reminder on Grace’s memoir, I completely forgot about it and really want to read it!
    Have a good week ~

18. Carrie says:

Before I even got to the bottom of your post I was thinking of Brene Brown! How funny that she has been popping up on my radar for the last year. I am currently reading her book Daring Greatly as my Lenten book study. It is indeed life-changing… Order it today! (Besides, what’s not to love about a wise-crackin’ Texan!)

19. Monica says:

I love Grace too & it too was when I watched the September Issue. Must get her book!

20. Kris says:

Grace Coddington is so rad! I love her style, she was the star of September Issue in my opinion, she I think is the power behind Anna Wintour. In many ways, I think she IS Vogue.

21. Kristin Milner says:

Kristen Simmons of a boutique agency called Lightswitch that deals with customer experience management and design. She just spoke at an event I planned and she is amazing, smart and so much fun!

Kristin

22. Coco says:

I just watched Brene Brown’s TedTalk. It’s beautiful and was exactly what I needed to hear again. I say again despite this was the first time that I watched it but it became my life philosophy somewhere around the road. I’ve been to dark places and have felt very vulnerable and lost but I got myself together and turned my vulnerability into something I could work with or from… Oh well, Brene Brown just explains it so well! And it is good to hear it from someone who has done research to it :)
    Wonderful post!

23. Hilary says:

Thanks so much for the introduction to Brene Brown. Her TED talk led me to her other TED talk on Shame. Both so incredibly powerful.