the burning house.

Rio-Bradley

i stumbled upon this genius idea for a tumblr blog — the burning house. foster huntington asks the age-old question: “If your house was burning, what would you take with you?” The Burning house examines the a conflict between what’s practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question with submissions collected from all over the world. you can submit your own list too – i think i need to do this, although it would probably end up being a photo of just lucy and my camera. such a brilliant concept — it’s in book form too. here’s a few of my favorites. what would you save?

NOTE: In a very sad turn of events, my friends’ home was devastated by fire last night and they were left with just the pajamas on their backs. If you would like to help even in a small way, they would be so grateful. they are the loveliest people with two small toddlers. if you’re able, you can help here. thank you.

Tobi-Mifland

Brook

Adam-Mahler

CosmePalma

Rene-Radomsky-

AlbaVerdes

tumblr_mhnzw9x1MV1qjfqe4o1_1280

tumblr_mhyoonRyms1qjfqe4o1_1280

Comments
22 Responses to “the burning house.”
  1. I think the idea is brilliant. A way to stop and reflect on what is actually precious to us. lovely, lovely idea. and gave me another person to follow on tumblr. xo

2. Heather says:

Interesting that so many of them have shoes. I wouldn’t have thought of that, but, well, duh!

3. Wow, so moving and thought provoking.

4. Kelly Rae says:

This is an amazing website. Thank You for blogging it <3

5. joody says:

What a clever idea! It’s interesting to see how some are very practical while others, not so much. Fun to get an insight in another person’s precious items! Definitely trying this. Thanks for sharing!

6. LifeLoveLuxe says:

What a fabulously brilliant idea!!! It’s so interesting to see what others consider valuable and the wide range of simplicity, practicality, and sentiment.

7. Polly says:

Love the odd cuddly toy in there! I would definitely bring my childhood toy duck ;)
    x

8. Allywan says:

Love this! I know how I’ll be spending the rest of my work day.

9. tiffany. says:

what a wonderful post!!! LOVE this idea!

xo.

10. Ruth says:

Oooooo I’m so totally gunna do this! I’ve actually just started following his blog too this week!

11. Donna says:

Beautiful, and quite appropriate given SF’s propensity for structure fires, right? xo.

12. karentempler says:

Great idea for a series. I think about this sometimes, and all I’d think to save (other than my husband) is my wallet, one painting, and my cats. So then what is all this other stuff?!

13. Andrea says:

What a great website, thanks for posting!
    I sure hope these people don’t have pets! I’ve only seen one cat in the images so far!

14. honeydonthink says:

This is a lot of fun – practical or sentimental? It really makes you think – great visuals too:-)
    I don’t know if I would have thought of shoes but I will now!

15. DKesic says:

Thank you for posting about this. :)
    It’s a very interesting project and I couldn’t resist but to reblog!

16. Shelby says:

I love Burning House! I was actually featured a few months ago!(http://theburninghouse.com/post/35053076359/shelby-eaton). It’s just a really special project.

17. Kyna Getsinger says:

Having just experienced this very thing I can say that it is almost impossible to think of what to take in that moment. My husband wore out of the house not any of his beautiful or cool shoes, but his basketball high tops, I slipped on an ugly pair of boots that would keep my feet warm. And luckily I ran past my lap top saw it and grabbed it. I lost our cameras and video camera that unfortunately had every movie taken of my children starting 5 years ago. In retrospect I wish we would’ve taken some of our kids stuffed animals because they are so distraught about their buddies. Also the journals that kept my notes of the kids loves and things they say and probably would have been nice to have taken my wedding rings which I had taken off to wash dishes and forgot to put back on. Thank you Victoria. Love to you.

18. Zuley says:

Love that from the ones you chose it suggest we would be quite impractical! ^_^

19. victoria says:

I hope that I would be able to save our pets. If there was time to think, I might try to gather a baby book and family quilt. So many other things could be replaced.

Mostly we are thankful that our friends survived and we are so inspired by the response of this amazing community! Thank you for sharing!

20. JoAnna says:

I love the idea of this, but the reality is that you don’t have time to think about this stuff in the moment. I wish I’d grabbed something – anything – when our house burned down when I was a child. Now, I think about what I would grab if it happened to me as an adult.