celebratory decay.

maggie-mason-makeover

perhaps you recall a few months ago when i mentioned i was going to be helping redecorate mighty girl’s bedroom. maggie mason of mighty girl and go mighty was seeking a change. she’d been through a divorce and was ready to reclaim her bedroom as her own again. she’d always wanted the feminine pink bedroom her mum never quite let her have, so we gave her one. it was at the top of her life list and it was high-time this girl got the bedroom of her dreams. she was inspired by a cover of life magazine featuring ann-margret and wanted a look of ‘celebratory decay’ — which included the installation of a real-live disco ball. stay tuned – that’s further down the post. anyway, here’s what we did. oh, and you can read maggie’s take on her new bedroom here.

before-after

first off, i kinda made maggie clear out the clutter. anything she didn’t really love, it had to go. we needed a blank slate. next up we painted her walls benjamin moore’s wispy pink. that alone made her room almost glow with glorious happiness.

maggie's-kimono

life-magazine

next up, flooring. maggie has great hardwood floors, but we wanted a feminine layered look so we added serena & lily’s incredibly beautiful Metallic Suede Hemp rug. the silver running through it shimmers when the sun hits it and it’s gorgeous. we added an overdyed pink rug for soft layering. it looks pretty smashing!

RUGS-LAYERED

the all important bed! this is the italian campaign canopy bed from anthropologie. pretty, right? the bedding came from a few of my favorite sources: maggie wanted a contrast of masculine and feminine so we started with a pale gray ‘dusk’ CROSSHATCH SHEET SET mixed with FLORAL DOT PALE ROSE PILLOWCASEs both from dwellstudio. we added a beautiful fluffy cream coverlet from soup home, available at h.d. buttercup’s in bed shop, which is also now available online. then we added an array of pretty pillows — we mixed dwellstudio’s DOTTED TRELLIS CHARCOAL PILLOW with some sparkly gold and silver pillows also from in bed made by Aviva Stanoff. i love the contrast of all the pink with grays, golds and silvers. it’s kinda yummy.

pillows-&-bedding

boom!

pillows

mirror

next on our agenda — making use of what maggie already had in her bedoom. she likes to put on her makeup at a vanity she’s had for a while, and she found this lovely round mirror at the flea market which was the perfect fit. she had the very cute existing vintage stool, her funky mannequin (we added her sparkly dress) and the fun pink rock lamps. together with her vintage jewelry box stashing all of her make-up it makes for a very pretty place to get ready for anything.

makeup-area

makeup-table

maggie-mason-makeup

mannequin

we’re still deciding on artwork, and living in earthquake country maggie’s a little shy to hang anything above her bed. but we framed a favorite piece of art made by her son, and made use of the old radiator as display. we also used maggie’s existing night stands and some brass table lamp bases she had. we swapped out the shades with some pretty shimmery pewter ones we found at harrington’s in the mission.

artwork

maggie's-room

and now, for the piece de resistance. maggie wanted a huge disco ball, a wow-factor. and i’ve got to admit, i balked. but i concede — she was quite right, because the disco ball is pretty fantastic. it gives off all all this amazing light and it really does make quite a lovely statement piece and added that factor of ‘celebratory decay’ maggie was after. that’s it — ta-da!

disco-ball

disco-bedroom

pink-&-gold

pale-pink-bedroom

• this post in partnership with go mighty + olay.

• all photos © victoria smith, sfgirlbybay.

Comments
55 Responses to “celebratory decay.”
  1. Yvonne C. says:

Hi Maggie! I sat next to you at Maybelle’s calligraphy class with Oh Happy Day! I see you saved your little ink well stand made her sweet hubby. Your NEW bedroom is divine, and oh my my, you were in such good hands with Victoria at the helm. Cheers, Yvonne
    p.s. Now if Victoria would just offer up her “create a dream room” on an Oh Happy Day giveway. Just sayin’…..

2. Kim Porter says:

This is a beautiful transformation! I especially love the pink rug and the bed frame!

3. dk says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the disco ball.

4. Georgia Zapanti says:

wonderful inspiring job!! makes wanna redo mine too!!congrats to all the team!!

5. the disco ball is so unexpected and really pulls the room together…It is awesome. Such a beautiful space and I especially love her son’s artwork. I have a few pieces from kids in my bedroom and my office. They are the most special things to me. LOVE IT!

6. Annie says:

I adore this! We recently painted our house and I wanted a pink bedroom. I was afraid of it being too princessy and not sophisticated (plus I had a hard time convincing Eric). This is the most perfect color, and I love the rugs, lamps, everything!

7. What beautiful photos – the “before” is hilarious! I love the duvet cover and went immediately to HD buttercup to check out their “in bed” section but got distracted by the “rugs” and “accessories” section.

8. Eline says:

I love this make over so much! Especially the glitters and softness in combination with the wooden and metal furniture…

9. I absolutely love the layered flooring!!!!
    What a great room and not to pinky girly, just the right amount of chic and pink
    Amy

10. nicole says:

love, love, love the over-dyed rug, the bed (of course), and the vanity mirror & stool. NOW, lets talk about where Maggie found those pink rock lamps???? i die!
    lovely transformation, V! oxo

11. Gorgeous, everything is just so pretty!!!

12. Wow, wow, wow! I just love it. What a tremendous space and what a great way to celebrate moving on. Great job Victoria!

13. Abby Raber says:

Absolutely 100 million % think this is the prettiest room in the world. Just freakin’ lovely!

14. ashle says:

I have those bizarre copper boots! haha!

15. Jules says:

Love that overdyed pink rug, the bed frame, and the vanity.

16. deneise says:

I would love a disco ball…but you had me before the ball… I love it all!

17. Geri says:

Love your decorating skills. Feminine but not too fussy. Always a fan of alittle pink too! Tried to look up that fabulous coverlet but couldn’t find the exact one. Do you know the name by chance?
    Off topic… How is your fiddle leaf doing?

• victoria says:

thanks geri!

i’m awaiting word from h.d.buttercup on the name of the bedding, so i’ll report back asap.

the fiddleleaf is doing well! growing! :)

18. Vivian says:

What are those gorgeous branches with the pink blossoms? Real? Fake? I want some. Love the entire post… love it.

19. Bridget says:

Swoon. If you’re looking for a next project, i volunteer! It’s so beautiful, i’d be afraid i’d never get out of bed!

20. Kate says:

Love this so much. The colors and the brightness. Such a great atmosphere…. well done.

21. Tunie says:

Was the dark outline around the celing that matches the bedframe perfectly by design or happy accident? Would kind of like to see it carried on down the corners to *really* mirror the idea of the bedframe outline…Also have to say I LOVE this room as much as everyone else…it is the most spartan and restrained girly room I’ve ever seen and it totally works!

22. Wow, love it!!!
    Beautiful and feminine bedroom! And I have to admit that I’m in love with this hot pink rug ♥

23. The vanity table is beautiful. I wonder if it’s German silver. I bought a dresser in Jodhpur, India that is a similar style.

24. Mikey F. says:

Love the whole bedroom. Amazing.

25. Marie says:

IT IS JUST WOWZA!
    Very good job.

ps: where is the wood bench from?

26. Sarolta says:

Pink walls and rug plus a vanity and there is still enough room for some masculinity to balance out all the girliness. Just divine!

27. Wow what a transformation. You have also given me an idea where I should position my bed, as I too have two adjacent windows where the bed could go. Thanks for your post and sharing your ideas.

28. katiedid says:

So pretty and the photos are fantastic….they really tell the story. Thank you!

29. sara says:

it’s holly golightly’s bedroom after she bought some furniture and gave the cat a name.

love.

30. Hilary says:

SO lovely – it feels spacious and comfy, and that pink rug is gorgeous! Definitely a space for feeling feminine and grown-up at the same time. Love the little reflections the disco ball casts in the sun.

31. Chelsea says:

I have alwaysssss wanted a disco ball in my bedroom! DOING IT!

32. Emily says:

Love this bedroom! What a great mix of feminine and fun. Bedding is a fave for sure! My uncle owns the line you used that In Bed sells. http://www.facebook.com/souphome
    Great product! Nice work Victoria, I love your style.

33. Annie Louis says:

I love how the decor of the room contains every possible mood. The shimmering disco ball is indeed a unique component in the bedroom. Keep up the good work.

34. Katrina says:

Sigh. So, so captivating with the colors and textures. I am wondering what size rugs you chose because it is a bit hard for me to tell from the photos.

35. Erin says:

I love this story! I want almost every single pink or shiny object in this room. Lucky lady!

36. Monika says:

I loveeeee this bedroom!!! Great job!

37. Katie says:

I love the layering of all the different fabrics. It’s truly a skill that takes tons of practice!

38. Rhonda says:

Beautiful!!! So inspired by seeing this re-do. Is that the king-sized canopy bed? Thanks!

39. Charisse says:

Hi Victoria,
    Love this!!
    What size hemp rug did she get and what size for the pink overdyed rug? Thanks!!

40. Kristin says:

Where did you find the disco ball??