the ground beneath my feet.

beldi-rugs

you know i tried to go all black and white and minimal when i moved into the cottage, right? well that didn’t last long. i don’t know if i’ve got spring fever or what, but i’ve gone bold, people. i still love my souk rug, so i simply moved it to the bedroom, and then — wait for it — i went in the complete opposite direction and added a couple of moroccan Boucherouite rugs — which are a riot of color! these two are from the Beldi rugs shop — beldi is a Moroccan word meaning traditional, rural and natural. and These are vintage rugs, some dating back to the 1940s and 50s — so these rugs have soul.

Boucherouite-rugs-from-beldi

Beldi rugs are hand-crafted and They were usually made from a variety of textiles in “rag rug” style, so they’re machine-washable (which makes them much more Lucy-friendly!) and easy to maintain. pinks, blues, reds and yellows – all jostling for attention in wildly funky patterns, sometimes geometric, sometimes totally abstract. Each beldi rug is completely unique — an authentic piece of folk art traditionally hand-woven by a married woman after she’s had children– working on it each day, with patience and love, sometimes for as a long as a year. As such, beldi rugs are rooted in the culture and landscape that produced them. I’m completely smitten by these happy rugs! There’s a whole range of Beldi rugs so have a look at their site for other types, like BENI OUARAIN, BOUJAD and AZILAL. coming up next? a brand new bold piece of artwork is being framed. stay tuned for that.

Boucherouite-rugs-in-sfgirlbybay-living-room

beldi-rugs-in-pink-and-blue

beldi-rugs-in-living-room

• post in partnership with beldi rugs.

Comments
47 Responses to “the ground beneath my feet.”
  1. Well you just know that Mr. Colour Lover over here LOVES this – great job, V!

2. Anna @ D16 says:

They look SO GOOD, Victoria. I love love love it.

3. I’m such a big believer in colour in a room, and this is just perfect!
    Looks absolutely gorgeous Victoria… Love seeing your new spaces evolve so beautifully :)

4. Keely says:

So pretty, and perfect for Spring. Especially with our gloomy SF rain :)

5. kim says:

so good. your whole cottage is so darn good.

6. Kim says:

I love a good bright, bold rug!

7. Anael says:

Love this! The rugs are beautiful!

8. Cori Magee says:

Love it, I just added color with a couple layered rugs and pillows too. It’s so fun to make small changes with big impact. By the way, you take great photos… Tips to interior photography? Maybe do a post about your tips… yes? Please. :)

• victoria says:

thanks cori!

i think a lot of it is the lens – i use a 24mm for larger areas (full room shot) and a 50mm 1.4 lens for closer up but with a shallow depth of field. then i over expose a little bit to give the images a bright, white look.

half the time, i’m winging it, but i can try and do a tip post. :)

9. Jules says:

Black and white is nice, but oh so….meh. Love the colorful rugs- they really make the room!

10. Si says:

Oh, oui, love this! Plus the Moroccan part of me is so proud to see some lovely rugs from Morocco in your interior. Yay to that! Great color addition Victoria, your interior is fabulous!

11. Love those rugs! What a crazy-cool splash of color. My toes are jealous!

12. Mona says:

I loved your modern cottage before. Now I’m obsessed with these gorgeous rugs!! It’s über fabulous! So chic, fresh and I love love love the way you style! Please come to Toronto so I can soak up all your design knowledge. How did you source all those pillows for instance? How did you know they would work? A post on that would be most appreciated!

13. love it! i had a style epiphany this weekend and finally diagnosed myself as ‘bohemian modern, with a splash of vintage and country’.

i love that you used two rugs – you’re so playful with scale all around, the end table, coffee table, sofa…very interesting space.

ps, i absolutely have serious decor envy over your dining room table!

14. Dana G. says:

This is perfection. Probably my favorite post of yours EVER. perfection.

15. Tabetha says:

Yay color!! I like looking at all the black & white minimalism, but I couldn’t live in a space that wasn’t alive with color– beautiful!

16. Jill says:

Gorgeous what a fun change!!! I also have been admiring the pink lumbar pillow, would you mind sharing where it is from? Thanks!!

17. Pixie says:

Love everything about these– the colors, the ethnicity coming through the patterns, the uniqueness, how you’ve fit the designs in with the rest of the living room, and the fact they’re washable. I’m scared to check the prices on these.

18. Bobbi says:

Your new rugs look great in your living room!

19. Susan D. says:

You rock! Long live color! I read your blog every day and appreciate your posts – they add color to my day. Thanks!

20. AJ Lambo says:

Beautiful rugs….great work

21. David says:

Lovely colors and a carpet is always useful in the cold Edinburgh..

22. Rebekah says:

Love those rugs! They look so comfortable, and what a great story behind the creation of the product.

23. Nicole says:

This is exactly what would happen to me if I tried my hand at black and white and minimal. Heck, I’m trying it in my kitchen, and I can’t wait to bring some color back in! I’m looking forward to seeing your new art.

24. SALLY says:

these look soooo good! i love them, and really love everything about this space. you’ve done such a fabulous job here!

25. Rosalind says:

Love the rugs and the pink pillow! It makes the black and white look even better….the room comes alive!

26. LOCZIdesign says:

Nicely done, once again. These look extremely cozzzzy.

27. Ana says:

I’m really happy when you post pictures of your home. I just admire it. Everything works so well together.

28. peggy says:

Your pillows are so beautiful! I am a firm believer in color. Are you going to keep both rugs?

29. Anathalia says:

Love the change, Victoria! Every time I think you can’t make it more beautiful, you just do!

30. Laura says:

Don’t those pinks and blues look fabulous with black and white, all tied together with lovely warm woods! I must remember that combo!

31. lauren says:

hello! i am a new reader and maybe you’ve already shared this, but I’d love to know the source of your black couch!
    thanks!

32. Ania says:

Brilliant ideas Victoria….i recently moved to a new flat and i have 2 black sofas in the living room and was looking for new, fresh ideas!

What about the white stool?i am looking to buy one…(boyfriend sits on the floor sometimes to be close to the tv when playing PlayStation :)

33. Jen says:

Hi! Long-time reader, first-time commenter. Now that you’ve had it for a while, any reports on how the West Elm souk rug is holding up? Appearance still good? Shedding? I’m in the market for a new rug and I’ve had my eye on it for some time… Any info would be appreciated! Thanks. :)