thoughts for a friday.

ROSES-BY-TIM-WALKER

tim walker.

well, readers we’re coming up on mother’s day, so i want to wish all the mummies out there a day of rest and repose (hopefully) for all your hard work, and a day filled with happy family memories. if i could send you all roses, i would. i was born on mother’s day, and lo and behold it’s my birthday again this sunday, so i’ll be celebrating in a slightly different way. as the years creep up i think about the women who inspire me. my own mum — she’s an interior designer who influenced my career path immensely — probably without me ever giving it proper thought or appreciation — i just soaked it all in like a sponge. i veered off my path a lot and more often than not took the least beaten one, but she’s always fully supported (if not simply just put up with) my random meandering. so, here’s to the mums today and here’s to some of the other fabulous women who inspire me. happy mother’s day and happy birthday to me.

keaton

page from then again; photo by Annie Leibovitz for vogue.

• have you read diane keaton’s book then again? it’s an insightful, and often poignant story of Keaton’s complicated relationship with her aging mother. Woven throughout the book are excerpts from the dozens of journals Keaton’s mother, Dorothy Hall, kept over the years. If you’re a Diane Keaton fan, you’ll adore her even more after reading this memoir.

lisa congdon's hand lettering

hand lettering by lisa congdon.

• did you know julia child didn’t begin her career in cooking until she was almost 40 years old? Julia enrolled in a Los Angeles cooking school to prepare for married life, though she’d later admit her early forays in the kitchen were disastrous. see? it’s never too late to start doing what you love, and doing it the way only you can do it. she’s such an inspiration.

grace-coddington

grace coddington.

• i adore grace coddington. she’s my favorite Fashion Editor, the Creative Director of VOGUE, but more than that she’s just a supremely creative, witty and intelligent woman so i always enjoy following her career antics from afar. i’ve mentioned it before, but she steals the show in the september issue so if you haven’t seen it, it’s a good mother’s day indulgence. eat bonbons and watch grace clobber anna wintour with her cleverness.

joni-mitchell

• have you ever listened to joni mitchell’s miles of aisles album? i have it on vinyl and it’s typically on my turntable saturday or sunday afternoons and i listen to it over and over. joni mitchell’s song lyrics are sublime. this is a live album and there’s one part where a guy in the audience yells out, “Joni, you have more class than Richard Nixon, Mick Jagger, and Gomer Pyle combined!” and she laughs really hard. she laughs this really great, infectious laugh and it might be one of my very favorite bits on the record. i love how a part of her audience she feels and that moment reflects it perfectly. you might like to listen to that this weekend, too.

Comments
31 Responses to “thoughts for a friday.”
  1. Cori Magee says:

Love this post!

A VERY Happy Birthday to you!! Hope you have a really pretty weekend.

2. Pixie says:

Your posts today are sublime. And happy birthday!

3. judith b. says:

A lovely birthday to you, Victoria! The Mother’s Day coincidence again this year must be some kind of good omen.
    What a wonderful post: your very special voice is always such a gift.

4. This is like the ultimate list of women: Diane Keaton, Julia Child and Grace Coddington. I can’t believe you packed them all into one blog. Bravo!

5. Yvonne C. says:

Lucy is very lucky to have you as her mum. Happy Birthday!

6. Lisette says:

Thanks for the inspirational ladies! I share your admiration for Grace Coddington and Julia Child, but have to learn more about Diane Keaton and Joni Mitchell. I’d like to add you as an inspirational lady, and so i will drink to your health this weekend! Have a wonderful birthday!

7. Samantha says:

Happy Birthday! Have a super-great weekend! :)

8. Danielle says:

I agree with the other ladies – super star post of fabulous women! Loved Diane Keaton’s book, and look forward to reading Grace’s.

Happy Birthday!

9. Joan says:

A fabulous list, and a thoughtful post, Victoria. Love how you reflect on the meaning each of these women has brought to your life. Happy Birthday this Sunday, and may it be a day spent exactly as you wish!

10. Sandra says:

Happy Birthday…off to order Diane Keaton’s book too (and Oh Canada – Joni Mitchell’s Canadian!).

It’s interesting being at the other end of mothering – BEING a mother to a daughter. I expected SO much from my own mom, much of which she could never provide due to lots of extenuating circumstances. We find our mothers and the mothering we need from all sorts of women in our lives.

I wonder what my girl will think when she’s grown up too…

11. kim says:

I lurve Diane Keaton, (re: Annie Hall when Woody Allen tells her love isn’t a big enough word that he lurves her) and also reading the new Julia Child bio (lurve her too) .

Happy Mother’s Day Victoria’s mom- we lurve Victoria and her awesome bloggage.

12. Tabetha says:

I adore Joni & Dianne. I am deeply jealous of Julia– I can’t cook to save my soul. Thank goodness I fell in love with the most wonderful chef~*

And Happiest of Birthdays to you {& what very good timing on your part, to be born on Mother’s Day}!

13. Karen Crosby says:

What a wonderful post! I don’t know if you ever caught it but here is a segment with Diane discussing tantric sex among other things, she ends up cracking herself up, you’re guaranteed to at least smile very widely as well. Happy Birthday!

14. victoria says:

thank you so much everyone for your lovely birthday wishes!! :)

15. Jade Sheldon says:

Loved this post. All these women inspire me to go after my passions…

My mom and I have never been close, but I hope that’s something we can work on. I don’t think it’s ever too late…

16. ItsDicey says:

Happy Birthday to you, lovely lady.

17. Rami says:

Happy Birthday to you! You have the same birthday as my son, who turns 19 this Mother’s Day! No wonder I enjoy your blog so much :-) Best wishes to you, and to all moms and birthday babes!

18. I just loved your post today..have a wonderful birthday, victoria! xx meenal

19. happy belated bday, fellow Taurus! (Mine was Friday – and my mom’s is today!). I love Diane Keaton. need to add that book to my Kindle list!

20. Patricia Cook says:

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Victoria!! I loved Diane Keaton’s book and bought it the day it came out. I am a huge fan of hers. Thanks once again for your lovely blog. It is a daily read for me, and does make me happy!!

21. Monica says:

Happy Belated Birthday Victoria!

22. Susan says:

Happy Belated Birthday. Hope it was a special day for a very special lady ! Your blog is lovely.Thank-you for sharing your world with all of us….

23. Sarah says:

Wow, thanks so much for turning me on to Joni Mitchell. I downloaded the album from iTunes last Friday (hello instant gratification) and have been listening to it over and over since then. <3

24. Kateri says:

Happy Belated Birthday Victoria!!
    Mine is today.. . so it happens to be the same day as Mother’s day sometimes too!! ☺
    Hope you had a lovely time!!

25. • You find yourself refreshed by the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy.

26. happy birthday + a day, victoria! and ps. you’re on my list of inspiring, wonderful women xo

27. Lucy knows about Julia Child from this delightful book, Minette’s Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat . We’ve been reading it for months, after the author sent us a copy. I particularly love reading this section, from the point of view of the cat: “And day and night she could smell the delicious smells of mayonnaise, hollandaise, cassoulets, cheese souffles, and duck påtés wafting from the pots and pans of her owner, Julia Child.” Lu asks to read this book, again and again. I believe in some part it’s because it seems familiar. We have a lot of smells wafting from pots and pans in this house.