summer up: movie night.

eat-popcorn

ahhhh, summer’s coming and the livin’ is easy. but you know what i really miss? drive-in theatres. my family and i used to go a lot. my mum would pack a picnic dinner and my brother and i would huddle in our sleeping bags in the back of the country squire station wagon to watch some great summer flick with my parents up front in command of those staticky old drive-in stereo speakers that attached to the car window. about the next best thing i could come up with was a summer movie night — but let’s make it an an outdoor summer movie night.

movie

so, to make things cozy, we laid out some fun vintage picnic blankets, grabbed some colorful mis-matched patio chairs and strung a white sheet from an old clothesline with clothing pins. we hung some globe lights for ambience and set up a projector. so many good movies to choose from for a summer movie night: moonrise kingdom, the graduate, or maybe the ever-inspiring amelie. and then of course, the movie snacks! you gotta have milk duds, and junior mints, good & plenty and naturally, red vines. and it goes without saying you must have fresh popped movie popcorn, and everyone needs their own darn bag! don’t forget the beverages — we made ours festive with a tub of fun colored sodas and homemade lemonade in a vintage-inspired dispenser jar. now we’re set. all we need is for the lights in the sky to fade and the projector to do its magic. perfect stay at home, summer movie night.

MOVIE-NIGHT

striped-vintage-beach-chairs

outdoor-summer-movie-night

summer-drinks

striped

•This summer inspiration is brought to you by Target. Find more fun and surprises all season long on Target’s #SummerUp Pinterest board.

• all photos by victoria smith, sfgirlbybay.

Comments
22 Responses to “summer up: movie night.”
  1. I have so been wanting to do this!
    I think it is a must on our list for fall because summer is way too hot here
    Amy

2. Monica says:

such a fabulous idea…I thought it would be fun for grown up and kids to do movie night like that on tubes in the pool too

3. Karina says:

This looks so fun! What a great idea :)

-Karina

4. Britt Whit says:

this is such a cute idea! I LOVE IT! We will add a cpl of sweaters for SF wind, but other than that this is so such a great Saturday night date idea! We must re-create! :)

love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

5. Lori says:

I love having movie night! We’ve been doing it for about 9 years now- I used needing a projector for my classroom as an excuse to buy one (they were way expensive for a starting teacher back then)! The first movie we ever watched was Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
    This is one of my favorite summer traditions!
    Lori

6. Nicole says:

I need an excuse for a movie night almost everyday!
    Love the colorful lawn chairs ;)

Nicole

7. Jackie B says:

What a great idea for summer! Even better than the drive in!
    I love all the colors and the floral backdrop.

8. Such a great idea! I always love the boardwalk movie nights on the beach in Santa Cruz, so fun to cozy up on the beach with some chairs and blankets and watch movies under the stars, looks like I’m gonna have to try this at home now : ) Thanks for sharing!

9. Natasha says:

I’ve only been to drive-ins a few times, but I would love to do it again. This is such a great idea if you have a projector. Dispenser jars are so cool. I’d really like to have one for parties some day.

10. camille says:

we had a ford country squire too! gold w/ (fake) wood panels on the side!!

• victoria says:

our’s was powder blue with faux wood! :)

• cathy says:

Ours was red with the fake wood panels (also Ford)!! That was my first car–and the one I learned to drive in. Can you imagine? It was freaking enormous! And gas was sooooo expensive.
        Love the outdoor movie ideas. Thanks!

11. mara says:

love your summer movie night, so fun! i also grew up going to drive-ins in california. i actually remember seeing to “kill a mocking bird” at the drive-in, how cool is that. (yes, i am that old : )

12. Ryan says:

Wow what great movie choices…”moonrise kingdom, the graduate, or maybe the ever-inspiring amelie…” I’m sure the kids will LOVE these picks for family movie night.

13. mlleparadis says:

how fun! love the colors. went to hear jimmy webb at macarthur park last sat. p.m. could have used a bit of all this. (instead of the ikea bags we sat on!) i can taste the homemade pink lemonade to go with!

14. Yuri says:

isn´t it a great reason to have a house in order to make such cozy evenings! :) Well, going to visualize :)

15. Kathy says:

There is still a drive-in just a half hour from my home and I have been meaning to go for years! I have never even taken my kids, yet my best memories of my childhood were at the drive-in.
    This is on my must-do list this Summer!

Here is an article the Globe and Mail just did on our drive-in:

16. I love this!! We have the perfect spot for it, now we just need a projector :-)

17. casapinka says:

Heaven – nothing short of heaven. Especially the popcorn. If I could just figure out how to work a projector and where in the world one gets one these days! Wonderful, inspired post.