small kitchen, but big style.

• From traditional to modern to everything in between, find your dream kitchen today at IKEA®.

ikeag-grundtal-shelving

no matter the size of my kitchen, i never seem to have room enough for all my kitchen accoutrement. apartment and small space living doesn’t ever seem to include a lot cupboards, and i happen to love my gadgetry, so what i’ve been doing since almost day one in san francisco is going up — taking full advantage of the vertical space in my tiny kitchen. IKEA has a whole line of wall storage solutions and kitchen systems like the Grundtal, which i’ve used in just about every space i’ve lived in. I hang pots & pans from the rack with ‘s’ hooks — and use the top shelf for storage, all out in the open, beautifully displayed in an efficient, modern way. you can stack colorful pottery, dishware, or store extra drygoods (tip: these days packaging can be an art unto itself and can look oh-so-great on display — and i’m a sucker for european packaging). a perfect melding of clever but stylish functionality.

packaging

need more ideas? i’ve also created a pinterest pinboard to keep track of other inspiring space-saving and kitchen decor ideas, utilizing wall and even ceiling space for kitchen storage — hang utensils, glassware, store dishes, display spices. it all looks great when you keep it organized and efficient for everyday cooking. Bon appétit!

ikea-shelving

i’m a long-time fan of the versatile grundtal wall shelf.

grundtal-kitchen-rack

store dishtowels and papergoods in hanging baskets from the grundtal wall shelf.

ikea-straws

colorful IKEA® napkins & straws in ordning kitchen utensil containers; and below wood-handled kitchen utensils.

ikea-utensils-&-rack

ikea-kitchen-accessories

bygel wire basket for storing spices; stack vintage jars above the stove for extra space; and the ordning container is perfect for kitchen utensils.

spices

towel-&-knife-rack

bygel rail for hanging teatowels and the grundtal magnetic knife rack.

• this post in partnership with ikea, but all opinions are my own. From traditional to modern to everything in between, find your dream kitchen today at IKEA®.

Comments
26 Responses to “small kitchen, but big style.”
  1. Rachel says:

I’m going to start grocery shopping for packaging not taste from now on!

2. I think I should start doing my grocery shopping in Europe and in the 1960s! Even a cluttered counter can’t look bad with those adorable food items.

3. Clearly I need to get to IKEA; this is awesome. Love what you’ve done with your kitchen (although I do wish we could see a larger shot of the entire room!). xo

4. Lesley says:

LOVE what you’ve done here! Great mix of Ikea, vintage and real life stuff.

5. I’ve been wanting to get some hanging storage in my kitchen as well. You have inspired me to get on that!

6. Natasha says:

We moved to a house with a bigger kitchen, but I still feel like I need more :) Unfortunately we don’t have Ikea in South Africa.

7. alyssa says:

amazing styling! seriously impeccable. and i absolutely love/have to have that clock! i’ve been trying to look for one just like that! do you think you could tell me where to look? :)

8. I use the grundtal magnetic knife racks to store nearly a dozen different colored Kuhn Rikon paring knives and all my spices. <3

9. Bridget says:

I agree with alyssa, please tell us where to find that clock! your taste is amazing!

10. mlleparadis says:

oh, i was just having my summertime hankering for an ikea visit. those pink striped towels have sealed the deal – must run! going shopping!

11. You eat Zwieback?! I love that stuff!

12. Tristan B. says:

Love the photos + styling! I am a big fan of the Grundtal as well.

13. jennifer says:

Do you have a hood in your kitchen? I always find that my exposed pots and shelving gets covered in grime.

We don’t have a hood in our SF kitchen and I’m wondering how you cope with that if you don’t have one either.

Maybe I am just exposing myself as a lazy girl who doesn’t clean and cooks fatty foods… so tell me you either have a hood (and tell me where you got it) or you have someone who comes and does your kitchen once a week to keep it spick and span.

• victoria says:

i don’t have a hood, but it doesn’t get too grimy. i probably am a bit of a clean freak though, and wipe down after cooking. :)

i know IKEA has some pretty great hoods – my friend just got one for her kitchen and it looks nice.

14. Nicole says:

So cute! Are those clear spice jars with the black tops available through IKEA as well? I just moved and am on the lookout for all sorts of dry food/spice containers!!