real art for a fictitious world.

remember me? it’s danielle from the jealous curator! i’ve been away for awhile, but i’m finally back, and boy oh boy i am soooo excited about this new series. yes, i’m buying art for some very interesting clients – the totally fictitious kind! first up, one of my most favorite movie characters, margot tenenbaum of wes anderson’s “the royal tenenbaums”:

jc_character_margot1

oh margot. so complex, so sad, and almost always in a fur coat. yes, for obvious reasons, i think she would be very drawn to these gorgeous paintings by alex kanevsky:

jc_character_margotfur

stunning, yes? now, given margot’s life-long love of bizarre animals {who she often wrote plays about, as a child}, i would absolutely show her this strange, narrative, hilarious work by kelly puissegur:

jc_character_margotanimals

um, yes. we’re going to need all of those paintings. now, speaking of animals, let’s not forget her love of the museum of natural history. these are photographs of museum displays, by jason demarte, that he then overlays with a perfect amount of graphic, brightly hued dots:

jc_character_margotmuseum

so, we’ve checked off fur coats and weird animals, but i don’t think margot’s walls would be complete without a few of these addictive little paintings by vincent pacheco:

jc_character_margotsmoke

yep. wrap ‘em up – i’ll take all three. and finally, when i started thinking about my totally fictitious client i just knew that we’d have to get a few pieces by alexandra levasseur. beautiful girls, surrounded by florals, who seem to be a little bit broken – i thought margot would identify:

jc_character_margotsad

sigh - lovely, and sad. just like margot tenenbaum.

well, i hope she likes my choices. i’ll be back in two weeks with a collection for another completely fictional character – if you have a favorite, let me know!

~ danielle {aka the jealous curator}

Comments
28 Responses to “real art for a fictitious world.”
  1. oh my gosh the alex kanevsky paintings are stunning.
    i agree with you that margot would love these pieces :)

Molly {Dreams in HD}

2. Sandy says:

What a fantastic concept for a well-trained curatorial eye! I especially like Pacheco paintings – they remind me of the Pop Art era but with duller muted tones, there’s a certain solemnity or sadness to them that is isolating and striking. So happy to have found a new blog!

3. sue says:

brilliant concept! i think the alexandra levasseur artworks are my personal fave as i love florals, but they’re all pretty bang-on for this character! what a fun series!

4. Sally says:

Ha, love this post! These are all so perfect for Margot!

5. Kristin says:

Love the art. Love the character. Love the post. All amazing! Thank you!

6. yay! i’m so glad you guys are liking it… i LOVE this new series so much and am already putting together the next one! FUN!!! (if you have any character requests, let me know)

7. alicia bock says:

I LOVE it all! (My husband and I went as Margot and Richie for Halloween this year. And, had so much fun.)

8. maggie says:

This might be my favorite post ever – thanks for sharing!

9. Gabriel says:

Holy smokes! Danielle came back on fiyaaa! Lovely to see her back in here with such awesome arty finds!

10. jaime says:

fun series- these picks are so clever!

11. Denise says:

favorite jealous curator post to date. To keep with the cinematic theme, maybe Amelie next? Or we could stick with Wes Anderson for Victoria’s amusement and do Cate Blanchett or Anjelica Huston’s character from The Life Aquatic…

12. I named my dog after Margot, and these are definitely pieces that would hang in my dog’s little den if they were tiny enough :3

13. Laura McHugh says:

Lovely Danielle. Just lovely. I would like to see what these folks would collect:

– The Will Ferrell character in The Wedding Crashers
    – Michael from The Office or
    – Jess from Who’s That Girl

14. Melanie says:

Definitely going to have to change your name to The Clever Curator. It’s so awesome. xo

15. Susan M Hinckley says:

This made my day. And will undoubtedly make Margots. LOVE.

16. Nancy Walter says:

My favorite post (they are all my favorites really) ever too! I am so inspired I am going to watch this again over the weekend.

What fun!

17. Katie says:

This is too good! I’d love to see one for Annie Hall, Penny Lane (Almost Famous), Mrs. Robinson (The Graduate), Enid Coleslaw (Ghost World), Juliet Capulet (Romeo & Juliet) or even the Dude (The Big Lebowski)!

18. What an awesome fun post! And so interesting the exercise to try to buy art for a character with such a strong personality :) I love how Danielle has both linked her tastes and film stills with the art choices. I definitely see Margot with them in her home. Can’t wait to see the next character!