scandinavian heads west.

pink-red-bedspread

ad espana.

i’m not sure this is exactly what i’d call this, but is southwest decor making a comeback? i’m not positive about that, but if it is it’s racing back in with a much needed modern makeover. i’m really loving these bold bursts of color and pattern in the form of textiles and rugs paired with very scandinavian white. who would have thought to mix up the two very diverse looks? lay down a kilim rug or a colorful throw in a room full of mid century modern furniture and white walls and it’s like sunshine on snow — a very welcome sight.

brooke-baker-apt-via-need-supply

brooke baker’s apartment, photographed by marissa maharaj via need supply.

rug-via-rue-magazine

kirstin grove’s beautiful bedroom via rue magazine.

modern-southwest-design-sponge

Sonja Rasula and Jonathan Sager’s home via design*sponge.

sean-fennessy-for-the-design-files

the design files, photographed by sean fennessy (above and below).

LeeMathews-home-via-the-design-files

bolig-Anne-Bundgaard-home

artist anne bundgaard’s home via bolig.

kilim-rug-vtwonen

james stokes for vtwonen.

Comments
14 Responses to “scandinavian heads west.”
  1. Love all the pillows and rugs! I would never have thought to do camo in the bedroom, but they make it work!

2. Jill says:

House Beautiful has a round up of southwestern-patterned rugs in the new issue — can’t find it online yet, but check it out when you get a chance.

3. Wow that bed in the first picture is stunning. I’m loving all of the large pops of color.

4. Meg says:

I love this! I too, am trying to accomplish this look in my house! Didn’t realize it was getting so popular! So glad for all the great photos for inspiration!

5. I’ve been loving this nordic/navajo trend as well, it keeps things interesting with awesome patterns and colors!

6. fancy says:

LOVE it!! Growing up in Texas this style has always been in my soul. We sell a ton of vintage kilim & cowhides & more – so fun to see how it truly is timeless.

7. STEL STYLE says:

I want to live in a place like this!! it’s so nice

DIY BLOG

8. Too gorgeous! And ‘sunshine on snow’ is just delicious. xx

9. Oh dreamy! Charcoal walls, flowers from the ceiling, colours without things getting too colourful… I’m hooked.

10. I love these rugs, they add such a splash of colour and interest to the room. My Mum’s had one for years in her sitting room and i’ve always appreciated them. Maybe I should finally search for one myself…..

11. Coconino says:

We here in the SW (I’m near Santa Fe) have never quite given up on southwestern-influenced decor. However, it should always be tempered and never include the typical kitsch like kokopellis (yuck, retch)! I do really like the rug pairing with white and am thinking of redoing the last room needing an overhaul in our house (the master bed and bath) a creamy white to give it some lightness similar to the photos above.

12. Nancy says:

Check out this LA based interior designer’s website http://amberinteriordesign.com/portfolio/.
    Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere hired her to help her decorate her new home. Amber is using a lot of Moroccan and Southwest rugs and pillows in her decor. Love it!!!

13. Beautiful decor! I love the rugs!

14. Abbie says: