tuesday’s girl: in plain site.

Madelynn-Furlong-copper-clothes-rack

madeylnn furlong of wide eyed legless copper clothes rack.

have you noticed this trend of putting one’s wardrobe on display? clothes are coming out of the closet! more and more I see interesting ways of displaying your favorite fashions more as art, or accessories than stuffed away in a dark wardrobe. i think this could be extremely useful in pairing down what we own, and just sticking to what looks best on us. ah, the simplicity of it. quality over quantity — less is more, and all that. i have that little nook off my bedroom, and i’m working on dreaming up some inspiration for transforming it. i love the idea of building a wardrobe display like the cabinet just below. i also completely obsessed with madeylnn furlong’s of wide eyed legless copper clothes rack — madelynn, are you reading? please make more!

wide-eyed-legless-copper-clothes-hanger

sukha-amsterdam-clothing-rack

natural timber rack, via sukha amsterdam.

element

maje, via element.

my-dubio-walk-in-closet

my dubio.

coco-lapine-diy-wardrobe

coco lapine design diy closet.

wardrobe-ideas

gold mesh closet by designer jesse visser by the d pages (comes in white, too!); bolig; and lovely white branch as clothing rod, via love aesthetics.

wardrobe-rack

great display of fashion favorites, via fashion toast.

simple-wardrobe

a simple rack from piping, via trendenser.

Comments
18 Responses to “tuesday’s girl: in plain site.”
  1. Kathleen says:

I’m sorry, but you can’t do a post talking about choosing quality over quantity just a week after singing the praises of Zara. If you love what Michael Pollan did for our nation’s awareness of food and how we eat and shop, please read Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth Cline.

• victoria says:

thanks for your insight, kath. i will have a look at the website and educate myself a bit better about who’s an offender. i know this is a huge problem, and i suppose i just meant here that having a few pieces of clothing you really like, versus 4 black coats, or 4 pairs of black pumps etc. i see she supplies a great list of places that are good to shop; but not a list of unethical brands.

2. i love using what you already have and displaying it as art.
    and these are just perfect!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

3. cathy says:

This is a nice idea. Especially like the idea of paring down to just what really looks good! I don’t usually go for blingy things, but I do like that gold mesh cupboard.

Also, I thought perhaps there was a website or shop called In Plain Site (and it was a play on words). Did I miss something or is it one of those auto-correct fails?

4. Valerie C says:

Madelynn’s is gorgeous — love the copper colors. Funny, I was actually looking up DIY garment racks last night ’cause I signed a lease yesterday for a place with ZERO closet space (not going to fly). I fell in love with this project: http://www.smittenstudioonline.com/diy-garment-rack/!

xx, Valerie @ http://www.lilyonfillmore.com

5. Yes! I love this trend–that first photo is gorgeous. I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to exposed closets: http://www.pinterest.com/aileenallen/exposed-closets/

Although I think it’s best to only use these racks for your prettiest clothes, the ones you enjoy looking at, instead of cramming every single article of clothing you own onto them. I know I couldn’t pare down that much, personally (although I love the idea). Maybe you could use it as a rack for planning your next week’s outfits, or as a way to enjoy some your fancier frocks that you don’t get to wear that often!

6. Marilyn says:

I’ve been seeing this more too. Even hanging items on the wall like art. I think this is a neat idea but don’t know if I can pull it off since I share a bedroom with boyfriend and quite frankly, I don’t want to see his clothes on display lol!

7. Valerie says:

I know, I’ve noticed this trend too and I actually really like it. I always feel like I’m wearing the same clothes. I’ve got kind of like periods I go through when I always mix and match the same items. And then clothes come in and I mix things up again. But my point is having the things you wear the most often on display is actually quite time saving. I’m moving house in a couple of weeks and hopefully I can do something similar to that (in addition to my pretty packed wardrobe obviously!) xx

8. Wow that gold mesh closet is gorgeous!

9. Jennifer says:

It seems to me that it works well only if you’re a single lady and have extra space for displaying clothing and/or only a cohesive color palette wardrobe.

10. 2moiselles says:

Some very nice ideas and inspiration. But that’s true that you must have only few clothes and the good one :-)
    xx
    2moiselles

11. I have three in my house! I love having a rack to display my clothes on but I’m not sure I would have done it had I not been desperate for closet space! :-) Two of my racks are packed full, but I color code them to pretty them up.

12. D says:

Great list Victoria and thank you for the mention!
    – Alex

13. I am all about this trend!! To me, my clothing are works of art and to be able to look at it and display it just brings me warm fuzzies…