edible rooms: lemon anise poached pears with dark chocolate.
hi friends! happy new year! it’s gab from the artful desperado. can you believe it? 2014 is here (two weeks into it to be exact) holy guacamole! i haven’t even bought a year planner yet, and forget about new year’s resolutions — ain’t nobody got time for that!
i know we all love to go on a healthy diet to kick-start the year and all that jazz, but seriously, you gotta live a little! and hey what do you know, i made a little treat for ya. take it as a motivational token to continue to kick ass for the rest of the year. grab your favourite apron, and let’s head to the kitchen.
Lemon Anise Poached Pears with Dark Chocolate
- 4 pears. Any kind works as long as they’re not ripe, little bit of green is good.
- 1/2 cup of sugar (or any other sweetener of your liking)
- 2 star anise pods
- 3 cardamon seeds
- peel of 1 lemon (make sure to remove the pith – white stuff – so it’s not bitter)
- 1 cup of bittersweet (dark) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (ish) whipping cream
- 1 large pot that fits all pears
- enough water to cover pears
to prepare it:
1. peel yo pears. well, that’s if you feel like it. if not leave them as is (peeled look fancy).
2. place the pears, water, and sugar in the pot. Gently stir to dissolve the sugar and turn on the heat. add the star anise, cardamon seeds, and lemon peel. dip your finger in the water to see if it’s sweet enough – i don’t like it super syrupy, hence the small amount of sugar, but you can add more if you want.
3. let the pears simmer until tender. to test, simply poke them with a knife; if it goes in easy then they’re ready.
4. remove from the heat and remove anise and cardamon seeds (don’t want it too strong).
make the chocolate sauce:
- you’ll need to set a double boiler: get a pot and a bowl that fits on top. add some water in the pot and turn on the heat. put the bowl on top of the pot. place the chocolate in the bowl and once it starts melting, turn down the heat (almost off) – start adding the whipping cream while stirring with a spatula.
- add as much cream as needed to make the chocolate runny enough to drizzle.
place the pears on a plate with a bit of the syrup, drizzle chocolate on top and voila! if you’re feeling sinful, scoop some ice cream on that shiz!
note: you can save the leftover syrup to flavour cakes or soda!
enjoy the treat fellas! see you next time. gab from the artful desperado