real art for a fictitious world.

amelie1

ah, bonjour! i’ve been wanting to buy art for this lovely lady for quite some time! the quiet, sweet, odd, and heroic amélie poulin (the lovely main character of 2001 french film, amélie). let me introduce you:

amelie2

oh these paintings! they make me want to hop on a plane immediately just so i can spend an afternoon at a parisian cafe… after i’ve bought fresh flowers at a little market, of course. this is the work of british artist charlotte hardy and i think a few of these (especially the flowers) would be perfect for the red walls of amélie’s montemarte apartment.

now, something to keep in mind about this young lady – her imagination might just be one of the best in the entire world, and it started from a very early age:

amelie3

i sort of wonder if the contents of her mind might look a little bit like these collages by los angeles based photographer/collage artist ashlie chavez. a t-rex swallowing bad children whole, cuddling with sharks, and a birthday party for bears. yep, that sounds about right. we’ll take all three, please!

i mentioned earlier that amélie is not only lovely, sweet and imaginative, but she’s also incredibly heroic (in her own amélie-like way):

amelie4

yes! she sets out to improve the lives of those around her, a masked hero, on the streets of paris (granted, except for one time in a photo booth the mask is completely in her mind, as are most things for amélie). i absolutely love these paintings by portland based artist emily winfield martin (aka the black apple) and i think amélie would too. a lovely little wink to her secret life that she could hang by her front door… the last thing she sees as she heads out the door on one of her adventures.

speaking of adventures. this is her greatest adventure of all – it involves a sweet boy named nino, and a book filled with discarded photos:

amelie5

considering nino’s obsession with assembling found images, and amélie’s obsession with nino i think this stunning mixed media work by california based artist lisa kokin is beyond perfect for these two little love birds… after all, this is exactly the combination of things that brought them together. ♥

amelie6

ah, oui. so much love for these two very sweet oddballs. so, until we meet again, adieu ~ danielle (the jealous curator)

Comments
29 Responses to “real art for a fictitious world.”
  1. Oh this is my ALL TIME favourite! I have been many a time inspired by this movie and everything in it! It has been hugely influential to the establishment of my personal artworks and their aesthetic. LOVE x

2. SIGH!!!! I love her. And I love the artwork by Ashlie Chavez! it’s fantastic. xo

3. Cecilie says:

This is amazing! I just went to Paris last week and lived right next to Des deux Moulin and also spontaniously went by the grocery store where she shops! It has been my absolute favourite movie for the last ten years! Love the pictures you have posted, it is very true to Amelies peculiar brain ;) Love from Denmark!

4. Ashley says:

LOOOOVE this series. Please keep it going!

5. Meg Mitchell says:

Outstanding post ….. loved it!

6. Kreetta says:

I think Amélie is lucky!

7. emily says:

these selections are so perfect! this is one of my favorite series you’ve had- and this one is especially fab! wonderful.

8. oh thanks so much everyone! i think this might be my favorite too (although i really loved the margot tenenbaum post!) … i love that these posts give me an excuse to watch all of my favorite movies again… it’s research ;)

9. Zandra Zuraw says:

What an awesome idea for a post! The movie is a fantastic choice to start with, but the artwork you’ve found and put together is really wonderful. Yay! Thanks for this!

10. Kaitlyn says:

My favorite movie and my favorite of the series! So whimsical and lovely.

11. Marisa says:

O my god! Those Charlotte Hardy paintings are perfect!

12. Sara says:

I love this film. In a discussion about art + Amelie, it’s worth noting that the visual palette for the film (green, red, yellow) was inspired by the work of painter Jaurez Machado. The director mentions it specifically in his commentary on the DVD.

13. zaazaa says:

great post! Amélie was the first french movie i watched, totally lovin it!

14. Susan says:

I must say, I wish Michael Sowas Filmhound and Fowl with Pearls was featured in this. The paintings had such a great moment in the film!

• ha! i looked at those for ages and totally debated putting them in! i love them too… but i thought the pieces chosen for the film were perfect and didn’t want to add to them (ie take away from them!) good call though, they are fantastic!

• * ok, just reread that… to be more clear, i meant the michael sowas pieces chosen (in her bedroom) were just so perfect on that wall. i almost added 3 of his other pieces around them, but felt like that would have been too much, and taken away from the perfection of the filmhound and fowl ;)

15. l'oliphant says:

I love this movie so much! :)

16. Nancy Walter says:

I’m jealous, of ‘The Jealous Curator’. Great job. Clever! Fun! Kudos!

17. Laura says:

This is perfection!

18. Lindy says:

Amazing post! This is one of my favourite movies! Love all of your picks!

19. thefolia says:

Those eyes–if we all had just a little twinkle in our eyes as Amelie big black jewels portray! Happy Nesting!

20. Leanne says:

How lovely! Perfect selection, I think.

21. rox says:

so so so good. I have to admit – your ‘art for a fictitious world’ series is my absolute favorite thing to read on your blog. xo