painting a palette.

color-palette

sign made by nordlicht, germany / photo by Florian Hardwig.

sometimes when i’m looking for an inspiring color palette, i’m not necessarily looking at decor images alone. i find so much inspiration through alternative channels — art galleries, just taking a walk around the city, or photography sites like instagram and flickr. even though i don’t post on flickr like i used too, still lots of talented people do and there’s lovely photography to be found there — like this funky old signage. that color palette is just stunning, and had i not stumbled over there, and let my imagination run wild a bit with these colors, who knows, perhaps nothing would have come of it. but that’s why i always try and keep my eyes open — you can find just what you’re looking for when you least expect it. ideas come from everywhere! here’s what the color palette of this old german-made sign inspired for me.

matchbook-magazine-lucite-bar-cart

one kings lane lucite bar cart, matchbook magazine.

topiaries-and-jam

jen huang photography; and house of rym.

the-fresh-exchange

the fresh exchange.

j.ingerstadt-dining-room

j. ingerstedt photography.

joanna-laajisto,-via-residence-magazine

Joanna Laajisto, via residence magazine (above and below).

Joanna-Laajisto-residence-magazine

buffy dekmar

buffy dekmar photography.

ryan-ray-photo-for-rue

ryan ray photography for rue magazine.

yatzer

vine hair salon, via yatzer.

weekday-carnival

weekday carnival.

borastapeter

borastapeter.

Comments
10 Responses to “painting a palette.”
  1. Erin says:

I often look at palettes found in nature! This is reminding me how much I want a bar cart!

2. This is so true! My inspiration often comes from the most unlikely places!

3. Delabelle says:

I love this! I get inspired by anything at any given moment. Thats why I keep my “blog bible” with me.

4. Lyndsey says:

LOVE this! Such inspiration in the photos you provided, but also reminded me to open my eyes when i’m out and about. lovely :)

5. you have such a wonderful eye victoria.
    love this color palette.

6. Brenda says:

Great inspiration…I paint vintage furniture and am often asked where I find inspiration for color palettes. It is the same for me it can be anything from a movie poster to someone’s blouse on the train. I do love that signage, those colors would look great on some drawers!!

7. sweet t says:

Lovely. There is something so fresh-feeling and soothing about this palette. I particularly like it balanced with the darker wood chairs (and peacock!).

The sofa in the last picture is GORGEOUS! I wish I could find one like that.

8. Great palette! I love the idea of breaking a photo down into it’s color scheme… Always inspiring!

9. 2moiselles says:

Very nice vintage inspiration!!

10. Lynne says:

Beautiful! I look forward to seeing your posts, Victoria – and often wonder how you come up with all of them. These are particularly beautiful. Thank you!