el fenn: morocco.

el-fenn_001

El Fenn is a gorgeous boutique hotel in Marrakech, Morocco. Morocco has been on the top of my dream destination lists since I was a child. One of my school teachers spent every summer with her family in Morocco and at the start of fall she presented us with bright and colorful textiles and souvenirs from her travels. El Fenn evokes that same emotion of richness that I felt years ago.

Opened by friends Vanessa Branson and Howell James in 2004, El Fenn boasts “With 20 individually styled rooms and suites, a four-bedroom private riad, 3 swimming pools and its own hammam spa, El Fenn is a unique boutique hotel combining grandeur and historic architecture with hideaway nooks, terraces and gardens – making it the most peaceful place from which to enjoy Africa’s most exotic city.”

el-fenn_005

el-fenn_010

el-fenn_006

el-fenn_007

el-fenn_008

el-fenn_010

el-fenn_003

el-fenn_004

• Main Photography: Joanna Vestey & Liesbeth van der Wal. Additional Photography: Andreas Holm, Achraf Bendaoud & Adrian Campbell-Howard.

Comments
16 Responses to “el fenn: morocco.”
  1. It must be wonderful! I’ve never been to Morocco, but it attracts me very much.

2. Sara says:

El Fenn looks beautiful, such rich colors and textures! Marrakech is high on my vacation list, and now that I’m in a place where it’s so near I think perhaps I’ll have to start planning a trip!

3. Valerie C says:

ahhh so insane. love that there’s rich color at every turn. wouldn’t mind going to morocco one bit!

xx, valerie

4. Michelle says:

This looks gorgeous – I absolutely love the moroccan colours – they all mesh together so well. I’m thinking of taking a trip to Morocco soon to get some sun as it’s such a close flight from London – so this could be the perfect place to stay – thank you for sharing! x

5. Ana says:

So, so beautiful.

6. maggie says:

I studied abroad in Morocco, but never went to Marrakesh, as it was deemed too “touristy” by my professor. This is definitely a westernized view of Morocco, but it sure is pretty.

7. I love the first room! That turquoise color is so beautiful and relaxing. I think I know how I’m painting my bedroom now! :)

8. Barbara says:

excellent spaces! those greens and blue walls are so good!

9. Magda says:

Great set of pics and beautiful hotel! I have lived in the Middle East for 8 years and am heading back to the region in about 6 weeks. We have travelled Africa and Asia extensively and I have to say Marrakech was the surprise of the century. For some reason visuals just fail to capture the insanity, sensory overload, poverty, dirt, smell of rotten carcasses, aggressiveness of some of the peoples etc. There is definitely a westernised version and idea of what Morocco is like vs the reaility – I absolutely agree with Maggie. This is Africa! It is however a destination that lingers in the mind for years to come and after many years of reflection, i know I love Morocco. In fact I am crocheting a blanket designed around the zellige tiles found in Fes and Meknes at the moment and recently blogged about the design process. Morocco is a must visit, but be open minded. It is not what it appears in pics.

10. Sarah says:

Oh I’m always kicking myself for heading home for work when my travelling buddy and I were in Spain and she headed south to explore Morocco! This place looks particularly gorgeous!

11. You’ve maken me dream of going to Marocco…I’ve never been there but I love colours and this ethnic style…

12. It is true that Marrakech receives many tourists, but there is so much to explore in the city and it never ceases to surprise you. This riad hotel is absolutely stunning, actually I wouldn’t mind living in a house like that myself – solid walls exterior with very few or no windows, featuring a small entrance revealing the paradise inside – nice!

13. dyah widipinasti says:

love morocco, and these pictures show more adorable things to add to morocco.