unexpected guests: karl aguilar + audrey bodisco.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

today we’re dropping in on the beautiful san francisco home of karl aguilar and audrey bodisco. a few years ago audrey’s Grandmother sadly passed away, leaving her lovely Parkside District home to audrey and karl. after spending so much of her childhood there, audrey couldn’t believe how blessed they were to be able to live in a house in San Francisco and was overcome with feelings of gratitude to her grandparents for their generosity, but also of guilt for not earning the home by her own hand, feelings that often come with inheritance and the loss of a loved one. she also felt overwhelmed by the responsibility of decorating and remodeling a house on a tight budget. but as you can see, she and her husband karl have created an incredible, well-loved home i’m sure her grandparents would be so happy and proud to see. photographer cindy loughridge stopped by to capture it all for us — let’s have a visit, shall we? you can follow audrey on instagram and facebook.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What do you and karl do for day jobs?
Karl and I are the Store Manager and Manager at Papenhausen Hardware, an independent hardware store in West Portal. We met here almost 15 years ago, fell in love, got married, and the rest is history.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What is your idea of a perfect day in San Francisco?
It starts out with a plate full of Karl’s waffles and some coffee, then maybe a surf sesh in Pacifica, followed by some more coffee and window shopping in the Outer Sunset. I always like to sneak in an afternoon run, and if we can end the night with a glass of wine at sunset in our living room I won’t complain. My favorite way to end the day is to watch a good movie on Netflix with our cat Olive on my lap and Karl next to me on the couch.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What are your favorite San Francisco shopping spots?
We both love Builder’s Resources for any current house projects and for any furniture we are making. Other Avenues for groceries – they have the best produce! I shop Gravel & Gold and the General Store for new and vintage ceramics to add to my collection. Karl really doesn’t like shopping, but sometimes enjoys The Perish Trust and our local surf shops, Aqua and Mollusk.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

Who’s your go-to taste maker?
Serena Mitnik-Miller immediately comes to mind. She has a really authentic and relaxed California style that I’m really inspired by. Jesse Kamm and Tracy Wilkinson for the same reasons.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What’s your favorite feature in your home?
Our kitchen, which we demoed and remodeled all on our own. It was built with love, from scratch, the way we wanted.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

Who would you like to sit down to drinks or tea with?
I’m terribly shy. I would take drinks with good friends over meeting any personal heroes or celebrities.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

Do you have a guilty pleasure or indulgence?
Definitely, and it’s getting harder to work them off as I get older! There’s this whole coffee, sugar, and alcohol trifecta that I’ve been meaning to deal with…

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What souvenir did you bring back from your last trip?
The realization that the draw of the ocean finally outweighs my fear of being eaten by a shark.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What is your idea of living hell?
That’s easy — shopping big box stores. I get sensory overload and I’m really turned off by the feeding frenzied behavior that goes on in them. I’m definitely influenced by years of experience working for small businesses, but I really do prefer to support my peeps!

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What are some of your favorites websites/blogs to visit?
Here’s a short list (excluding sfgirlbybay, which is still in the daily ritual): the design files, freunde von freunden, the blue hour / brian ferry.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

Do you you have any favorite Instagrammers?
Absolutely! kara_town is like my sister from another mister! We have a mutual appreciation of George Nakashima and the art of thrifting. otisandotto, awelltraveledwoman, and hannahmas all have beautiful and heartwarming family-based feeds. _phoenixmoon_ is my homegirl. She is just too cool! lppshop provides a reminder to eat pizza more often. Finally, mallorylucille for our shared love of the colorful homes of San Francisco.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

What’s the easiest way for you to find inspiration?
I’m really inspired by nature, specifically the landscape of California. Both Karl and I were raised to have a strong connection to and respect for the earth, and we both feel more centered after spending time with the sun on our faces and some fresh air in our lungs. When it comes to project inspiration, Instagram is my go-to for fashion, art, and home design. Flora Grubb is a spot I like to visit when I need some inspiration for my garden. It’s so beautifully curated, shopping there is like a visit to a botanical garden.

audrey bodisco home tour | sfgirlbybay

• all photos by cindy loughridge for sfgirlbybay.

Comments
40 Responses to “unexpected guests: karl aguilar + audrey bodisco.”
  1. wow so touching. this is so similar to our story of an inherited home. what a lovely story they have created.

2. Anita says:

The house looks amazing. Great job bringing it forward into your own style, Audrey and Karl. Many years of happiness to come to both of you. :)

3. rachael says:

In love with this home – the simplicity and clean lines are a dream! Im all about no clutter and simple simple simple….Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing!

4. katie says:

This home has such a neat story and is so, so incredibly gorgeous. The kitchen remodel is unreal!!! And Audrey + Karl seem rad. :) This is a new favorite home tour for sure.

5. eb says:

an incredibly random question – what brand is their kitchen trash can? i have been looking for one just like that everywhere with no luck!

6. Lesley says:

Is it possible to find out from where Audrey and Karl got their dining room table? It is exactly the profile and texture for which I am looking for my narrow, shoe-box house!

7. Janna says:

beautiful home and charmingly genuine interview. I love their taste and their commitment to shop with small businesses. I’m especially amazed at their ability to maintain such a tidy, minimalistic aesthetic. Lessons for the rest of us, please! ;)

8. Kathryn says:

I’ve known Audrey and Karl through Papenhausen Hardware for fifteen years. They have been put to the test with way too many remodeling questions from my hardly handy around the house hubby. But it was only a month ago that I accidentally discovered Audrey’s crazy awesome Instagram feed of her home. What a small world! Audrey and Karl’s taste in everything is top notch, they are true style makers.

• Audrey says:

Oh Kathryn, thank you! I’ve said this before, but you and your adorable daughter and sweet husband have always been such pleasant and sweet customers. Your hubby is never a bother! Trust me, we get much, MUCH worse! Haha! Thanks for commenting!

9. rachel says:

Oh my goodness!!! Audrey and Karl’s house is perfection! I found Audrey on IG and I am amazed daily by her feed. She is definitely a tastemaker!

10. MaryEl says:

This house is incredibly awesome! Thank you for showing us such beauty and simplicity. The white planters w/black stands are super – would you comment on their origin?

11. petra says:

utterly utterly beautiful

12. Sarah says:

Beautiful tour. Where are all of the lovely textured wall hangings from? Did you make them?

• Audrey says:

Oh, thank you! They have been collected from so many sources over the years! I’ve scored great weavings from flea markets, vintage shops, and several from Etsy – there is a shop on Etsy called Naativstudios that I just picked up a great macrame weaving from. The ceramic wall hangings are by the amazing Heather Levine and I purchased those at The General Store in San Francisco.
      Hope that helps!

13. Jennifer says:

This is so inspirational.

I am Mid renovating our San Francisco apartment and landscaping our yard.

It’s such an emotional experience.

What type of ground covering did you do on your pathways and seating areas outside?

Jennifer

• Audrey says:

Hi there, thank you for your comment! The ground cover we used is decomposed granite (DG for short). Check out Broadmoor Landscape in SSF for a supplier. They have great selection and prices. Good luck and enjoy!

14. Laura says:

Hi – I love your bright rug, who makes it?

15. Gabi Hutchison says:

This is the most beautiful, inspiring space I’ve seen in a long time! My husband and I own a local independent bookstore so we definitely agree with you about supporting small shops. I’m loving your collection of vintage ceramics. I can’t resist adding to my own collection whenever we go on a trip :) That white coat rack is seriously amazing. Where did you get it?

Thank you for sharing this wonderful home!

• Audrey says:

Yay for independent businesses and vintage ceramics! I’m so thankful for your comment – it really made my day!
      So, about the coat rack: we bought it on a whim many years ago at EQ3. I really like it too. It’s so quirky!

16. Kindra says:

Beautiful kitchen, absolute perfection! Where did you get those lovely square ceramic pots you house in the kitchen?

• Audrey says:

Oh, thank you so much!
      We got all of them at Flora Grubb in San Francisco, but I’ve seen them around at a few different home stores and nurseries. They are uber affordable too!

17. Anuschka says:

Love this house! I want to live here! It has a great atmosphere ans it’s very inspirational! Beautiful photos too!

18. KarenT says:

LOVE your home & decorating! Can I ask where the pendant lamps above the dining table come from?

19. Blanca says:

Thank you for this wonderful tour. There is so much armony, balance and connection between every object. Very well curated! I am also interested in the pendant lamps and the little stool/bed table. I gave been looking for long time..

• Audrey says:

Thank you, Blanca! The pendant lamp is from West Elm. The bedside table with the black legs we made with a $5 IKEA stool base and a piece of plywood for the top. The asymmetrical bedside table is something my husband made for me from some beautiful salvaged teak we found.

20. Blanca says:

Thanks. Great job with the bedsides

21. Megan says:

Hi! I LOVE your home and you’ve inspired me! I was wondering where you got your bed frame? I love that it’s nice and simple.

• Audrey says:

Thank you, Megan! One of the bed frames (the light wood one) is from a random futon shop here in SF. I think that might be the one you are asking about. The other (with my cat posing for the camera) is from Design Within Reach – a gift from my parents.

22. Heather says:

Hi there,

Silly question. But I love the boobie bedroom pillow covers, I know I’ve seen them before but can’t remember where!

Gorgeous home, thank you for sharing it.

• Audrey says:

Boobs are the best! Buy them at Gravel and Gold in the Mission or online. The General Store stocks them online too.
      Thank you for the kind words!

23. Rachel says:

Where are the awesome pillows & poufs from? Etsy?

24. Audrey says:

Hi Rachel,
    I’ve been collecting them for years now, so they come from all over. I’ve bought them from Etsy, from vintage shops, the Alameda Flea Market, and the poufs are from the Treasure Island Flea Market.

25. mallory says:

woo! beautiful, xo

26. lana says:

i noticed your dish rack….are you able to keep your counters dry with it? if so id love to know where it’s from. :)

• Audrey says:

Hey Lana,
      Yes, we are kind of neurotic about keeping our counters dry so we sourced this great rack with a pivoting drainage ramp from Simple Human.