spotted: olli.

hi everyone! this is leslie from spotted sf. sweet victoria has kindly invited me to guest post on sfgirlbybay and i couldn’t be more honored or more excited to be on her site. once or twice a month i’ll be sharing photos I’ve taken of favorite things i spot around san francisco + many gems I find along my travels, too. i hope you enjoy this first post as well as the many others to follow.

on that note, please allow me to introduce the lovely lady and the exquisite work behind san francisco-based studio, olli.

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

two things jo (or joanne zorkendorfer) and i share in common: travel and tradition. and particularly the time honored craft of artisans in the regions we visit. it is truly special to observe these artisans at work and seeing the level of energy and detail that goes into each piece they make. and then to take home something so unique and made with such devotion makes it that much more special, too.

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

in 2010 jo created olli, a luxury craft company devoted to designing beautiful and contemporary handmade products that honor technique and tradition. her first series includes loungers and pillows reflecting the embroidery style of a collective of women artisans, specifically otomi indians in the hidalgo region of mexico. these women artisans hand sketch the nature-inspired motifs onto fabric, then hand embroider the entire pattern in cotton thread. each lounger is unique and custom designed for each client, and the embroidery takes three months to complete.

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

the finished fabric and the final pieces are then sewn together in at olli in san francisco. the overall feel of the lounger is heavenly and unlike any other. jo spent much time researching the perfect fill, which includes a polyester fiber core and a foam base for support + a feather topper which makes the lounger luxuriously plush. while visiting her studio (which is heavenly in itself) i plopped right onto one of these and dreamt sweet thoughts of owning one for my own home some day.

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

spotted: olli | sfgirlbybay

jo’s lovely and light-filled olli studio is located upstairs inside the heath ceramics building in sf. she shares the space with another talented designer, adele stafford of voices of industry. one of jo’s lounger and some pillows are displayed in heath’s showroom. for more info about jo and the olli loungers, visit here.

• all photography by leslie santarina.

Comments
16 Responses to “spotted: olli.”
  1. Lynne says:

I really enjoyed this new feature! I can’t wait for more.

2. maggie says:

This feature is so inspiring. I want to own everything that Jo has created – so lovely.

• Leslie Santarina says:

Thank you and couldn’t agree with you more! Such amazing work she does. Can’t wait to see what’s in her next collection.

3. Jay says:

Such great textiles!

4. Lin says:

Gorgeous. I just did a blog post on Heath Ceramics and I have a shot of her ottoman there. http://hotforhouses.com/2014/06/17/crushing-on-heath-ceramics/

• Leslie Santarina says:

You gotta love Heath! I go insane in there – it’s my favorite company in SF. Great feature and beautiful shot of Jo’s lounger:)

5. Christine Kellihet says:

From Ireland ..I wish I cd go to SF nd just shop till I drop !!such beautiful hand made things!!

6. These are gorgeous, Leslie! Thank you for introducing us to this very talented local creator! I will definitely keep an eye out for her pieces next time I am at Heath Ceramics.

7. emily says:

these are stunning! what beautiful quality!

8. WOW! I just love Otomi tradition and am so excited to see Olli! I was just in SF and did not make it to Heath, tho it was on my list—and know am especially kicking myself because I would have LOVED to visit Olli too! Thank you for sharing this amazing shop!

• Leslie Santarina says:

You’ll have to visit SF again! If you do go to Heath, I recommend doing their tour so you can see the factory and the showroom + they’ll take you upstairs to see their studio and all the other creative businesses operating upstairs. And definitely visit Olli, too:)

9. jenny says:

The loungers are really beautiful.
    I’d also love to know where that great pencil holder was from?

10. Jane Schott says:

I make and sell Otomi pillows and have worked with the lovely women for over ten years who do this by hand. I loved this post and what great ideas for the use of this wonderful art.

So glad I found your blog.

Empress of The Eye Pillow Collections