a feast in the forest.

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

when you live in a big city and someone invites you to an evening at a cabin in the woods, you say, “yes, please!”. which is what i was fortunate to find myself doing this past weekend. erin gleeson, author of The Forest Feast, and her blog by the same name teamed up with eatwith and invited a wonderful group of people up to her home in woodside for an evening of epicurean delights. way up in the redwoods, erin lives in a charming cabin with a deck that literally overlooks a forest — it was so magical and the setting she created was stunning — from globe lights, to the vintage chairs and a beautifully set table, i took one look and knew i was in for something special.

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

erin created all the recipes, photos, illustration and hand lettering for her Forest Feast
cookbook and we were fortunate enough to have her prepare for us a delicious vegetarian dinner all from recipes in the book. the book features 100 simple vegetarian recipes— all displayed visually, in the same way that erin presents them on her blog, handwritten and illustrated steps to each recipe. It’s a unique blend of artbook and cookbook. and if you’ve not heard of eatwith, it’s a global community that invites you to dine in homes around the world. you sign up with eatwith for dinner’s around the world and dine with amazing hosts, share stories and unforgettable experiences, and enjoy delicious homemade cuisine. such a brilliant idea — i highly recommend it. i think if you’re traveling, what better way to soak in the people, culture and food of a region than to eat in a local’s home? many thanks to erin and eatwith for having us! a truly memorable and wonderful evening under the stars and amongst the trees.

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

a feast in the forest / sfgirlbybay

• photos via instagram: sfgirlbybay; the forest feast; nataliebdesigns.

Comments
20 Responses to “a feast in the forest.”
  1. Antic&Chic says:

This is magic… And so wild!!! We absolutely love it ;)!!!

2. Nan says:

Oh my gosh what a beautiful setting! Love the decor, outdoor string lights and mason jars, swoon. So beautiful to see how they moved away from classic florals on the table and used foliage and fruit instead!
    xo Nan
    Simply Elegant Blog

3. Catherine says:

This is so lovely. Anything with string lights just gets me. I’d love to see a home tour?

4. This just looks SO beautiful and relaxing. I’m quite lucky to be surrounded by a lot of nature where I live but even then there’s always some element of urban life disrupting its glorious beauty so I totally get where you’re coming from with this post. A nature getaway? = Bliss. As mentioned above, the decor is so beautiful and doesn’t distract too much at all from the surrounding beauty of the area. Loved this post!

Hannah x

5. lisa says:

this looks like a dream, honestly! i’ve been reading forest feast for a bit and that home is just over the top special.

6. Amber says:

This looks amazing! I just looked through every eatwith offering in my area! Thank you!

7. sue says:

I love this. Erin’s book and illustrations are so charming, and this dinner concept is such a great idea. May have to look into it for an upcoming trip to Italy. Thanks for posting.

8. Deanna says:

This was just so pleasing to look at! What a slice of heaven.

9. This looks divine! Thanks for passing this along.

10. Frances says:

Dream deck! I recognized it right away when you posted it on IG since I have the book:)

11. Blenda says:

What a perfect setting for a cabin in the woods! Can’t wait to get the cookbook….thanks for sharing the Forest Feast story.

12. Edie [eats] says:

It was an as beautiful setting and delicious food as you described, Victoria. Was nice meeting you there.

13. So so so lucky…. saw this on instagram and was instantly jealous of you fabulous people. At least we can all dream thanks to your pics.

• victoria says:

most of us had never met, which made it even more fun. you can sign up for eatwith and learn about dinner parties in your neighborhood, or someplace you’re traveling to. it’s a pretty great concept, and i met such interesting, nice people i’d have never met had i not gone.

14. Dara says:

Thanks for sharing! The cookbook looks great! I am going to get a copy. I love the illustrations. Makes it all seem doable!

15. melissa says:

I love your blog! the design is absolutely gorgeous.

16. This hits me in all my sweet spots —- the whole “Gathering” trend is so perfect to me. You don’t need a fancy house or dining room to get your friends together / make some yummy food and just spend an evening together. Drag that banged up table outside – with a hodge pod of chairs. What’s not to love?
    Gorgeous feature — wish I had been invited!
    Best,
    Carrie

17. kim fisher says:

I love Forest Feast – how cool that you were a guest for this. I’d love to host one of these- signed up , we’ll see.