the art of vintage paintings.

heather bullard.

as you may have seen in the past, i’ve long been a collector of vintage paintings — my preference being the painted portrait, but i love the look of all varieties of vintage paintings. i like their bit of whimsy, never taking them too seriously (because let’s be honest, sometimes old paintings can be just a little weird), they add character and charisma to a room. a collection or grouping of several paintings always looks smashing, but a single painting stashed somewhere unexpected — like in a kitchen or peeking out from a bookcase can be really interesting. old paintings tell stories and add a wonderful conversation piece. i’ve had the best luck finding them at the flea market, but etsy and ebay are good resources as well. there’s also a couple of contemporary artists that paint some pretty interesting work that would blend well with these ancient beauties — try Clare Elsaesser, lisa golighty, and kate pugsley. happy collecting!

marie claire maison.

sfgirlbybay.

the art of vintage paintings / sfgirlbybay

the design files (above + below).

stadshem.

heather bullard.

ida magntorn.

the art of vintage paintings / sfgirlbybay

clockwise, l to r: heirloom modern; mikael creative; arkpad; and alpha smoot.

all modern.

design*sponge.

the art of vintage paintings / sfgirlbybay

bed and philosophy (above + below).

sfgirlbybay.

the art of vintage paintings / sfgirlbybay

François Halard, via habitually chic.

at home in love.

armelle habib.

marcus hay.

Comments
8 Responses to “the art of vintage paintings.”
  1. Jackie says:

Wow, some of the paintings that you showed are really awesome. I have one very large vintage painting that’s looking for a home on our walls right now. I find them interesting too, especially when they have some kind of story behind them.

2. Eva says:

I’m agree with you. Old paintings have a special charm. After this post I found vintage art more special than the modern in interiors.

3. tforia says:

The muted tones show up well when a variety of paintings are hung together.

tforia.com // discover the best online shops

4. Eva says:

I’m agree with you. Old paintings have a special charm. After this post I find vintage paintings more unusual than the modern art in interiors.

5. qlkowa says:

Inspiring pictures. I just love old, ugly paintings with funny, modern details.

6. I love vintage paintings, too! While like you I’ve had the best luck finding them at flea markets, I never leave a thrift store without browsing through their framed art. It’s so cheap and you never know what you’ll find! If just hanging it on the wall won’t cut it for you, there are lots of good ideas on Pinterest to modify or paint over old art and give it a modern update.

Love, Gigi
    Dolce and Gabriella

7. Cora says:

Oh God this post has ticked all my boxes today. Thank you! I LOVE vintage paintings and adore the ones you featured. I have also been having a little conundrum lately as to how I might move from a loft to a smaller space. While I am looking forward to the intimacy of the space, I’m dreading it too as am just not sure how i will fit my ‘stuff’. That ‘lil image of the Mac in the cutest space will work perfectly as might the corner desk (LOVE that!). I am also deeply in love with the François Halard floor (do you think that’s painted?), the rugs, lampshades and every dang thing! I can’t wait to move now. Thank you x

8. Anna says:

Girl this post has got it going on! I’m naturally attracted more to old drawings and photographs but as a habitual watcher of antiques roadshow I know that paintings always bring the big bucks… think I need to start my own collection! And these rooms are the perfect inspiration.