lisa congdon: a studio visit and a brand new book.

lisa congdon's studio tour & new book art inc. / sfgirlbybay

a long while back i shared bay area artist lisa congdon’s san francisco studio with you. well, lisa congdon now lives across the bay and has a brand new (but old, loft-style) studio in east oakland. she also has a brand new book out, Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist — so it was the perfect excuse to drop in for a visit. lisa shares her extra large studio with a few other artists, but since it is so large she has plenty of space to stretch out and paint commissions like the massive 7′ x 9′ painting you see here. like all of lisa’s work (and she is very prolific!) it’s bright and beautiful and soon to live in the lobby of a apartment building in san francisco’s Mid-Market district. how awesome to have this greet you as you come home every evening!

lisa congdon's studio tour & new book art inc. / sfgirlbybay

in her new book, Art, Inc. lisa shares her hard-earned insights into having a career as a working artist. as a former teacher turned artist, lisa began her career in 2006 and gives expert advice on how one can make a living as artist, including commercial illustration, licensing, fine art sales, print sales, teaching and more. all valuable and very practical advice for any artist who’s dreamed of earning a living doing what they love. Art, Inc. also includes insider tips from art world pros, like jessica silverman, nikki mcclure, mark hearld and paula scher. but until you get the book in your hot little hands, here’s a peek at lisa’s studio — i think you’ll find it most aspirational and inspiring.

lisa congdon's studio tour & new book art inc. / sfgirlbybay

• all photos by victoria smith for sfgirlbybay.

Comments
14 Responses to “lisa congdon: a studio visit and a brand new book.”
  1. tracy says:

What an incredible space!!!

2. Anna says:

I just received her new book in the mail, and I must say it is very helpful and inspiring for any emerging (and overwhelmed) artist trying to understand the business of sharing art with the world. Well done, Lisa!! You are such a talented teacher and artist!

3. Nikki says:

I love Art Inc. I went to art school and learned the creative, not business side of art so Lisa’s book is such a great gift for aspiring and even settled artists. Plus I love this behind the scenes look into her studio space!

4. Igor says:

Lisa is such an amazing artist and person! I would love to meet her and you one day together! What a creative energy full of fabulousness!

5. Ana says:

I want the book ¡ This’ll be my next present to my birthday¡¡

6. Just got the book. Great so far. Beautiful space and art. Love your blog!

7. Double-dog-DROOLING over this space, studio, work and book. Sheesh! Such happy little eye treats found in those textiles. Mmmm.
    xoxo

8. Regina says:

Obsessed with all that light and color!! Breathtaking.

9. gina says:

luv’d this article about Lisa C., her loft, artworks & awesome new book. i can hardly wait to read it cover to cover; giving it a home in my studio library.
    thx much,
    gina

( p.s. what a gr8 dress, 2 :) )

10. Cece says:

Lisa also has some new coloring books coming out at the end of the month that look like fun. Such a wonderful and creative artist.

11. Kelly says:

I am so inspired by her studio space… and that dress! I just followed the link from this post and purchased the book.

12. Maria says:

Wow. I just died and went to an artist’s heaven. This is too much for my heart to handle. Dream space!

13. Melissa Laurel says:

Absolutely love Lisa Congdon’s work. Oof…and that studio space. The details are spectacular. Very inspiring.

14. Henk Piek says:

I love the art studio, all the little things in it and the great paintings. Such a beyond ordinary lady, not only an artist pur sang, also a very smart lady!!! Succes, Lisa !!! I will share this link on my facebook wall, which is visited by people from all over the world.