dream house: my new kitchen / before.

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

so, she’s not ready yet, but i’m sharing a sneak peek at my kitchen. she’s a lovely kitchen but i’m planning on a few updates, so you can consider this a ‘before’ post. i quite like the dark gray paint, but i’d like to lighten the space up a bit, especially since i will eventually be building a pergola just outside the door, to create an outdoor dining room (more on that project — and many others — later). So i’m going to paint the kitchen walls Benjamin Moore’s Bunny Gray (2124-50), which is really pretty pale shade of gray to lighten the look overall. then, i’d like to swap out the cabinet hardware and use schoolhouse electric’s super pretty Mid Century Knobs and pulls in Satin Copper on the white cabinets. with the pale gray walls, i think that combination will look light and airy and add a modern touch.

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

i’m going to add a white roman shade here above the sink; and eventually i’d love, love, love to swap out the granite countertops with cararra marble — wouldn’t we all? soon enough! but i adore my big white kitchen sink! i’d also like a copper wall sconce above the sink to match the cabinet knobs — on the hunt for that. copper pendant lamps will be added as well — perhaps these pretties from schoolhouse electric.

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

eventually (there’s a whole lot of those) i’d like to check out what’s underneath the floor tiles. i have a hunch it’s hardwood, but not sure what shape it’s in. so we shall see about that — in the meantime, i have an abc carpet & home rug over the tile. oh — and when i paint the walls light gray, that back door is going to get painted glossy black — benjamin moore’s Onyx (2133-10) in Pearl finish (as per daniel kanter’s expert recommendation!). in fact, all my doors are going to be black!

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

i’ve still got emma lou and my coffee cart, and then i got these amazing hkliving natural rattan bar stools. here’s another eventually — the space is quite large, so i’d like to get a kitchen island for the center, and guests could pull up the bar stools to chat while i cook. everyone always flocks to the kitchen, so some seating would be nice. this little corner might change-up, too. i’ve been debating about adding built-in benches and creating a little dining nook with a round table. but that’s on the ‘later’ list. so, that’s it for now — and any ideas or suggestions on sources are welcome! Bon App├ętit!

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

dream house: kitchen 'before' / sfgirlbybay

Comments
51 Responses to “dream house: my new kitchen / before.”
  1. Manu says:

I love the current dark color on the walls, but the Bunny Gray you picked looks great too. And the copper accents will be perfect. Congratulations on the new house and that lovely kitchen! Besos :)

2. Cynthia says:

Wow, what lovely bones your kitchen has! Your upgrades sound fab. I might consider removing those floating cupboards on the sink side of the room before repainting and replace them with some open shelving. I’m sure you have all kinds of pretty that would be nice to see displayed. That sink!

• Sheri says:

I love the rug, I love rugs in kitchens, so soft under your feet when cooking. Love the dark grey, we are in the process of finishing up our kitchen remodel, just had the floors done and I am still looking for some small pieces to finish it off and I love looking at other peoples kitchens. Yours is lovely.

• anitra says:

I totally agree with removing the floating cupboards and replacing them with open shelving! Great idea and it will make such an impact!

3. Sandra says:

What a lovely kitchen and it will be even lovelier once you’re done with it. I always find
    white kitchens are the best – light and airy and clean looking.

4. tanya says:

I like Cynthia’s idea of taking the uppers off and adding open shelving… that’d be so stinkin cute… great idea to remove tile in kitchen, even if you had to add a grey stone long narrow tile in a subway fashion… can’t wait to see more of you la adventures… however, I miss SF pics… SF has such a cool vibe

• tanya says:

with taking those uppers off, you can extend the shelf all the way to the window, the uppers kinda look like an after thought right now.

5. Amanda says:

Excited to see all of the updates (that Schoolhouse hardware went straight to my wish list)!

6. Ashley says:

It looks like it is going to be wonderful! Can I ask how you ordered the bar stools? It doesn’t look like they ship to the U.S.? I’m obsessed with those and would love to add them in my own kitchen remodel. Thanks!

7. Jessica says:

I’m so excited to see where you go with these updates. I know it will be so spectacular. Definitely into midcentury knobs you want. They’re so pretty in the simplest way possible.

8. what a fabulous starting point! i really like that wall color, but am excited to see how the bunny gray looks.

9. tula says:

You had me at “bunny grey.” Congrats on your new home, Victoria, and welcome to Los Angeles! xo

10. Ardith says:

Dead sexy, most amazing “before” kitchen I’ve ever seen. If anyone can improve upon it, it’s your lovely self. Cheers and congratulations on your awesome new home, Ardith

11. Alexis says:

This is my dream kitchen already so I can’t wait to see what the “after” looks like! Thanks for sharing, I’m in love with the new house!

12. kyna getsinger says:

looking beautiful, Victoria! Love all of your touches, as usual. Love your ideas too:)

13. wendy says:

you’re in la!!!!
    hope you are loving southern cali!!
    xowendy

14. Jeannine says:

Now you’ve got me thinking about painting my doors black! : )

15. Kim Marsden says:

Fantastic! As all your spaces are. :-)

16. Coco says:

I just bought the very same barstools! I’ve them in four different colors; natural, honey, white and black. I so adore their beach-vibe feeling.

17. Tracey says:

It looks like the fridge is in an awkward spot and maybe should find a new spot away from the back door. Also it looks like the two uppers are off which throws the window off center. Just an observation. Good luck!

18. gigi says:

why not use spray paint on the pendant and light above the sink?

• Cussot says:

Yes, that would be a good way to see if you like the copper. I’d consider spray painting the inside of the one over the sink white to match the ceiling fixtures. That way you get more light reflection, too.

19. Lori says:

Victoria, looks like you are already having a blast with the redecorating process! Best of luck!!
    ~L

20. Heather says:

It looks great! We just painted our kitchen a light gray…it was bright green before, it really needed to be toned down, so I had been hearing that gray was the new black, so I totally went for it. Now what we desperately need is a backsplash. Love your kitchen, I’d love to invite you buy to join in my new weekly gratitude journal!

21. Beth says:

Beautiful and that coffee cart is everything!!!!

Beth.

22. Cristina says:

Where are you going to place the island? Space is large but I can’t imagine a good situation for it

23. Brittany says:

Not a bad place to start at and improve from. Can’t wait to see where you take it. Your ideas sound amazing!

24. Loving it, especially the mix of white and wood. I am presently working on my kitchen with white and wood too. Diane

25. kim says:

what a great space- you’ll probably have all the best memories right here when its finished.

26. mary beth says:

Lovely! I agree that open shelves would be the icing on the cake, looking good, thanks for sharing.

27. PhillyLass says:

Wow. This kitchen is already looking fantastic. It’ll be perfection once you make those changes. Love, love, love your selections from Schoolhouse Electric. Love everything from Schoolhouse Electric, actually.

28. Angela Muller says:

Victoria, love the possibilities, but from the photos, I don’t really see a large enough space for a center island, unless you’re thinking of removing the parallel bank of cabinets opposite the sink. I love islands, and it’s always nice when people can sit and watch you prepare whatever.
    Angela Muller

• victoria says:

thanks, angela. it’s actually 7 feet across by about 14′ deep and they used to have a small rolling island there, so i’m looking for something like that. more like a cart perhaps than a physical island. :)

29. Cinne says:

I sure am enjoying this process and reading everyones fab ideas. Would bunnying-up the upper cabnets, window trim and floorboards make it more modern?

• Deborah says:

what does bunnying up the cabinets mean? i was thinking about how the upper cabinets on either side of the sink could be trimmed out to finish them and perhaps integrate them with the refrigerator.

30. Kathie says:

This is simply gorgeous as is so I cannot wait to see the after! Can someone please tell me the cost of those amazing barstools? Thx!

31. Pippa says:

If it were me I’d choose a roller blind, bearing in mind that a roman would cover as much of the top of the window as the current venetian.

32. Cussot says:

Maybe you could bunny up the side of the fridge, too. Is it old enough to defile with paint?

33. Jodi says:

this might be the prettiest “before” I’ve ever seen!

34. Touls says:

Hi- Love the Bunny Gray, but am also loving your current color- can I ask what it is?

Thanks!

35. S@sha says:

I like the idea of a built-in banquette and table in that corner. I picture it upholstered in more kilims to tie into your current rug. The stools pulled up to a counter are great for a quick chat, but a comfy bench that you can really sink back into is way better for a leisurely breakfast where you catch up on your reading in the mornings. Your whole house looks really nicely flipped, but still flipped which means IKEA all the way. I love IKEA, but it drives me crazy that the flippers never buy the taller upper cabinets to get them all the way up to the ceilings. And I always love the look of open shelving in the kitchen, but your dishes get dusty so fast and I hate grabbing a plate and feeling like I need to wash it before I use it!

36. Crystal Thomann says:

I know this post is a few years old but I am in love with your kitchen sink! It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. Can you share the source? Your kitchen turned out beautiful!!