living in transition.

modern toronto living room interior design / sfgirlbybay

i always look forward to covet garden magazine because in each issue they put their entire focus on the individual design of just one home and their latest issue does this quite exceptionally. issue number 59 (!!) features a beautiful home tour of a family who relocated from New Zealand to Toronto, canada. it’s a transitional home, rented while they searched for their ‘forever home’ — but how they’ve made it “their own” temporarily really struck a cord with me — especially after being a renter for most of my life. like many of us, we live in a place where yes, it’s home, but it’s not officially ours, so we’re limited to how much we can do to personalize a space. this family went about it in such lovely ways, especially in displaying artwork, and adjusted their rental space to remind them of their former seaside home, and yet embrace their new city life in toronto. it’s an inspiring space and i think you’d love to hear their whole story — pop on over to covet garden for more.

pendant lamp with patterned area rug and wood cabinet / sfgirlbybay

white IKEA cabinet with framed art print/ sfgirlbybay

white toronto dining room / sfgirlbybay

white home accessories and potted indoor plant / sfgirlbybay

white chair and wall with art prints / sfgirlbybay

modern white workspace with art and accessories / sfgirlbybay

unique home furnishings in toronto home / sfgirlbybay

black and white art prints in toronto stairwell with indoor plants / sfgirlbybay

modern white bedroom styling / sfgirlbybay

vintage accessories styled with children's art / sfgirlbybay

• photography by donna griffith for covet garden.

Comments
11 Responses to “living in transition.”
  1. Michele says:

Such a lovely magazine! Thanks for sharing!

2. Lucy says:

I love this :) the photos are so inspirational – really gorgeous space. Definitely want to add more greenery in my flat. Thanks for sharing!

Lucy xoxo

3. Heather P. says:

Lovely home! It’s great to see how people make the most of rental spaces because I’m still a renter! It can be tough to put a personal touch on a very generic apartment sometimes!

4. What a great story and such a beautiful home. I love these photos and the sentiment here.

5. Kari says:

As a renter with no home ownership happening in the near future, I absolutely love this!
    Kari

6. Anna Church says:

Hi Victoria! Just have to say I’m blown away with your lovely comments about our rental home in Toronto! Thank you so much for sharing it with your beautiful audience. I was most honored to have Covet Garden come and photograph it and feature my art so predominantly – AH-MAZING! I am such a huge fan of their beautiful magazine and home stories as am I of you!

Anna :) xox

• victoria says:

Thank you so much, Anna! I’d love to see your new home when you’ve got it all set, too! You have wonderful taste and a great eye for design!! Cheers, Victoria

7. nora says:

I love the little nods to nz -might not be obvious to the non-kiwi but they’re definitely there :)