i did not read 50 shades of gray, but i imagine these shades of gray to be far more elegant and somewhat more reserved and soothing in nature. this is the family home in bristol england inhabited by and interior designer and BBCTV presenter Gabrielle Blackman, who is clearly a very talented and imaginative designer. i’m not sure these various shades of gray would have occurred to me, but she’s done such a splendid job of pairing them with bold dashes of blue and yellow here and there. it’s also a marvelous mix of modern meets vintage finds — and the white plank wood floors are divine. featured in living inside magazine, the whole home tour is most inspiring. you might like to have a look.
• photography by michael paul for living inside magazine.
i know all about spring cleaning, that urge to purge and get our homes looking bright and shiny so when that sun finally streams in, it makes you feel warm and satisfied, and all is right with the world. but i also get this hankering to get organized in winter months, too. i like to re-organize my closets and make room for sweaters, coats and boots, but i also like my home to be winter-ready for those days you just want to hibernate inside. it feels good to simplify, get out the warm and fuzzy throws, and tidy up my home so it’s somewhere i really want to hunker down. i have a hard time relaxing when my space is chaotic and messy. i like it zen. i love the looks of these winter white spaces. everything in its place, but looking stylish nonetheless. so calm, so perfectly relaxing.
hello friends, so nice to be back today and share another pin-worthy pinner to follow. i am finishing up a little getaway to the oregon coast, so i am all about moody and beautifully dark at the moment. to me, there is nothing more romantic and inspiring than a walk along the ocean at night…these pinners conjure the same feelings through their pin choices and curation.
richele & sydney partner to create incredibly beautiful boards…the same impeccable taste also comes through in their online shop anewall. one of the things about looking into pinners further is discovering a bit more about them; especially when those things are beautiful blogs, instagram feeds or in the case of richele and sydney, a shop that is definitely worth a further glimpse.
more than a few favorite boards to follow:
thanks for popping in for a visit…see you in a couple of weeks.
xo mrs. french
this week the very lovely folks at kate spade saturday invited me to check out their latest line of monogrammed bags and wallets as well as their fun new fall collections. their clothes and accessories definitely make me want to run around town with my camera — the kind of perfect carefree saturday without any place to be or anything specific to do — just see where the day takes me. i chose their zipline continental wallet — which you can have monogrammed for just $10. and i love the big bold gold zipper and it holds everything i need — even my iPhone fits right inside.
i kind of adore capes and ponchos in the chilly months because they can just be a little more fun than your average winter outerwear — just call me the caped crusader! i selected this hooded plaid cape to throw over jeans, a light sweater and of course a pair of black PF flyers in black leather — kate spade saturday style. my kind of ideal weekend wear.
just in time for holiday celebrations, Women & Whiskies and i have a lovely cocktail recipe for you to toast to this season! you’re going to love this Boulevardier, using Wild Turkey Rare Breed whiskey. So sophisticated and pretty! one of the best things about partnering with the awesome gals from Women & Whiskies is learning new cocktail recipes, getting educated on various kinds of whiskies, and the real plus? it also feels super cool to walk up to a bartender and know what the heck I want to order and how to order it.
i also think you’re really going to be over the moon for this giveaway, too. because the stylish folks at DwellStudio are giving away their Connaught Bar Cart to one lucky reader! if you’ve not been fortunate enough to stumble upon DwellStudio before, it’s a design house for fashion-forward modern furnishings with stunning homewares and furniture collections, like this bar cart we’ll be giving away (valued at $1,476)!
here’s a few notes on the Boulevardier cocktail you might like to know:
• it’s a delicious aperitif — it’s like a Negroni but with whiskey instead of gin. Anything with Campari is great for the holidays because of the beautiful red color — so perfect to serve before thanksgiving dinner!
• There have been some misperceptions about Wild Turkey in the past so it’s great to know that Wild Turkey uses only NON-GMO, USA-grown grains — and no shortcuts when it comes to ingredients! If any, very few American Whiskey brands can claim this. Wild Turkey use #4 char on their new American Oak barrels — the deepest (and most expensive) char that gives the whiskey incredible depth in flavor. Master Distiller Jimmy Russell is the longest-tenured active spirits distiller in the world! So yeah, he pretty much knows what he’s doing. He just celebrated his 60th year at Wild Turkey.
• And finally, Wild Turkey Rare Breed in particular is A blend of 6-, 8-, and 12-year old bourbons. It is a “barrel-proof bourbon” meaning no water is added after distilling and aging to dilute the flavor. It’s weighing in at 112.8 proof — they aren’t messing around!
THANKS FOR ENTERING! A WINNER HAS BEEN SELECTED BY RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR AND THE WINNER IS ASHLEI MOSLEY!
• comment below, and tell us what you love about whiskey cocktails.
• follow Women & Whiskies on instagram.
• please comment by monday, november 17th, 12pm PST.
• as always, be sure to leave a way to reach you via twitter, facebook, email or your website.
• sorry, but this time the giveaway is for U.S. residents only.
• we’ll announce a winner selected by random number generator on my twitter account later in the week of november 17th, so be sure and follow along.
• all photography by cindy loughridge for sfgirlbybay.