have you ever seen blue q socks? it’s one of those things i’d never seen before, and then in the span a few short days these hilariously adorable and sometimes a little snarky socks were popping up before my eyes in the most unusual spots — my local art supply shop, and then the beauty supply store. i saw it as a sign, and bought several pairs that words were just calling my name! “Screwing Up Is Part Of The Program” – oh yes. “Love Ya, Mean It” or the ever popular “men ruin stuff”. yes please. check ‘em out. put some sassy spring in your step.
• top photo courtesy of designlovefest.
“wake up, fall outta bed, drag a comb across your head!” it’s monday, people, but i’m gonna make waking up just a little bit easier! i’m teaming up with the fun-tabulous ban.do to start your week off right with a great little giveaway. but first coffee, let’s start there! then, i want you to crank some tunes on the giant gem speaker. see, you’re feeling better already, aren’t you? perhaps add a few motivational art prints to give you that last extra push. okay, let’s win this thing!
• comment below, and let us know you followed along.
• please comment by monday, september 22nd, 12pm PST.
• as always, be sure to leave a way to reach you via twitter, facebook, email or your website.
• sorry, this time the giveaway is for U.S. residents only.
• we’ll announce a winner selected by random number generator on my twitter account later in the week of september 22nd, so be sure and follow along.
• bottom instagram by maggiloving.
despite the little heat wave los angeles is enjoying, my trip to southern california thus far has been nothing but fun! i enjoyed a pretty leisurely road trip down highway 101, stopping in san luis obispo for the night, and spent an afternoon by the sea at avila beach. the perfect road trip resting spot. before leaving i stopped into the adorable scout coffee (below) to fuel up before the ride to l.a.
then i zipped down the coast, stopping to spend time with my family and a dinner in malibu at moonshadows. i hadn’t eaten here since prom night in high school — nothing much had changed, but the food was quite excellent, and the sunset view on the deck with the waves crashing below — pretty sublime. from there, i headed to the downtown studio of my bestie bri of designlovefest at the unique space. good times ensued.
we’ve been running around los angeles with stops at some great little shops, like en soie, the claire vivier flagship shop, the eastside handmade pop-up market, and chay. i’ll be sharing more about some of our delicious dining experiences (including the commissary at the line hotel) in part deux, l.a. — until then, can you please cool down, los angeles?
• all photos by victoria smith for sfgirlbybay.
Top to bottom, left to right:
1. This sea of green, bringing richness and calm to a simple bedroom
2. The incredible story behind the home, both private and public, of the Openhouse Project
3. A practical and pretty DIY on air drying your herbs as the cooler seasons settle in
4. Natural household vessels handcrafted by Japanese ceramicist, Shizuko Hasuo
5. An oh-so-charming window nook for all your reading needs
oyoy, those oh-so-fabulous danish designers have launched their latest autumn / winter catalogue and it’s most inspiring. the oyoy collection of homewares and furniture is inspired by classic, Scandinavian style, adding undertones of simple, Japanese design and a passion for combining color and materials. The result is a unique blend of simplicity and colorful design that is totally livable and a little bit whimsical at the same time. their new oyoy mini for kids is gosh-darn adorable, too. have a look at their new catalogue to see what i mean.