it’s finally friday — and even though it was a short work week, i still feel like, “whew! we made it!”, and darn it but if i don’t still have the travel itch. labor day has come and gone, and still no summer holiday for me. i’ve got to get out of town! or at least pretend like i am. happy weekend, or shall i say, bon voyage everyone!
- i’d like to jump aboard this scooter and zoom around some lazy italian town like puglia all day — wouldn’t you?
- i just read a great book called the rocks, which takes place in Mallorca, spain and that just made the travel bug worse — the descriptions of the sea were most beguiling. what books do you suggest i read next?
- a trip to the local farmer’s market always makes me feel just a little bit continental — the hollywood farmer’s market is my favorite, and i love this Oversized Fique Net Bag from someware for collecting my goods — very euro cool, indeed.
- i’ve noticed a new Epicurious trend of late — eating tinned seafood, like octopus & anchovies. restaurants like NYC’s maiden lane and LA’s Bar Covell are serving it up alongside cocktails like crazy. feels very european to me, so maybe i’ll snack on that this weekend.
- or maybe i’ll just get lost looking at maps all weekend — i’ve got a thing for ’em, and artist libby vander ploeg’s are some of my favorites. i’ve got a whole pinboard dedicated to just maps.
i first came upon one of los angeles-based artist Lilian Martinez’s adorable sweatshirts on pinterest, which then lead me to her BFGF tumblr shop — where i just fell in love with her very original textile artwork. it’s like Gauguin meets the simpsons meets pop culture, and it’s just quite brilliant! BFGF is an art brand “inspired by transcendent experiences, the internet, snacks and both tropical and desert landscapes.” you can find more of lilian’s original works (like bedding and art prints!) on society 6, and in her clothing & accessories shop, and follow along on her blog.